133. Tightrope Walking (7)

...I should go back after all. In times like these, defying the words of either lord can be a risky move, but wouldn't it be right to avoid imminent death first? Whatever death comes after can be left to my future self to handle somehow.

"I've always been in a situation where my life was as precarious as a candle in the wind."

That's been the case since the day I stepped onto the battlefield, so there's nothing particularly new about it.

I closed and opened my eyes repeatedly, feeling the rapid surge of stress. As my cluttered mind cleared, some of the mental fatigue dissipated.

"Ah, I could use a drink. Maybe some alcohol..."

Well, alcohol has always been like that, but even though I quit taking medication a long time ago, why am I craving it these days?

Anyway, I'll go back for now. That's the decision I made. As I turned to leave, vibrations came from the communication stone I had placed in my pocket.

"What's this? Did I take the wrong path?"

Even though it seemed like I had the right direction...

With a brief question in mind, I took out the communication stone. As soon as I connected, I heard a short groan-like sound.

"What... did I take the wrong path?"

[No. Deon, it's better to be prepared. Things might end sooner than expected. The demons are moving towards your location right now.]

"...What!?"

I was about to run away now.

It's already too late to run away, as if to indicate that, the ground trembled slightly. ...Yeah, I thought I could handle it alone. Let's see who we're dealing with.

I turned my head to find the source of the vibrations. As one tree snapped, six large demons came into view.

"Haha."

"That's the level I can handle alone? Seriously?"

How much did I overestimate my own abilities?

There aren't many of them, but they're definitely fewer than the other demon groups I've encountered so far.

They're enemies, but...

"Their size is no joke!"

A tree broke! I didn't even intend to break it, I just moved!

After a moment of silence, I finally managed to speak. I called out to the other party calmly, trying not to let my voice tremble.

"My Lord?"

[Oh, yeah. Having the communication stone on might be a hindrance, right? I'll hang up first. Contact me after you're done.]

Click.

"Damn it..."

Power involuntarily surged into the hand holding the communication stone. I wanted to throw it away and vent all my frustrations, but...

I quietly lowered my gaze. The communication stone was fine, but the hand holding it was trembling white with force.

I looked at the pathetic sight for a moment, then relaxed my grip and put the communication stone back in my pocket.

Yeah, survival comes first. With my already weak body, I can't afford to waste energy on unnecessary things.

"Alright, let's see who's going to die first, you bastards."