148. Cruel Truth, Cruel Fate (1)

The commander disappeared.

Thanks to that, we could hurriedly withdrew from the battlefield and returned, but it wasn't a cause for celebration at all.

The murderous knights gathered together in one corner of the backyard, each letting out deep sighs.

"Where could he have gone with that body of his?"

"He wasn't kidnapped, was he? If... if that's really the case... I wonder if the kidnappers are providing him with proper meals."

"Are you talking about meals at a time like this?"

"It's important."

"Well, I guess so."

"...."

Our lord, are you eating properly?

"....What should we do now? The lord isn't here either."

"Should we search for him ourselves?"

"We might not be able to find him, and more importantly, we might get caught soon. They might accuse us of desertion."

"So what should we do?"

The answer came from Clatter.

"...Let's just follow the Emperor's orders until the lord returns. An esteemed hero has disappeared, so he must be searching diligently as well."

Deon Hart was dying.

The dreadful memories forcibly separated were now flooding back, adding acute stress to the stress that had been accumulating all along.

His fever rose madly, and blood gushed out incessantly. Even though he had been transported safely to the demon world, the situation of life and death repeated several times a day remained unchanged.

"What can I do about this!"

Responding to the signal from the necklace he was handed, Ririnel rushed over and teleported him to the demon world.

Her voice contained a cry on the verge of bursting.

"This is the realm of the mind. All I can do is... cool down your body and replenish your blood..."

"You, you're the healer! Why!"

She had panicked at the sight of him lying in the snow and brought him to the demon world. She had thought that everything would be resolved once they arrived at the Demon King's Castle.

Though she wanted to burst into tears immediately, knowing that crying wouldn't solve anything, Ririnel instead grabbed a handkerchief. What she saw was so alarming that she couldn't help but cry out in fear. Despite just wiping it away, the blood was already staining the handkerchief.

"If it's not working, then try using magic, please..."

Even as the handkerchief touched his eyelids, his eyes remained unblinking, as if asking when he had ever been clean. Seeing the eyes, devoid of focus and swollen with burst blood vessels, Ririnel finally burst into tears like a child.

"...You're crying..."

Although she had just wiped it, when did it ever look clean? The red liquid flowed down her cheeks instead of tears, making her feel too anxious. Eventually, she could only cry like a child.

"...The ban on magic hasn't been lifted yet."

"You call that an excuse now!"

"And also."

Ben, looking down at the Demon Lord with both hands firmly gripping his neck, continued in a choked voice.

"It's possible that the Sir Arut is starting to have a fever again, so could you please release this hand?"