106. The Hunting Competition (7)

106. Hunting Competition (7)

Evil follows Deon Hart.

Presumably, Deon Hart is the calamity.

Thus, it will follow.

'But what if Deon Hart isn't the calamity?'

What should be done then?

While Deon Hart was away on a mission, Dan put in a lot of effort for him. He changed the address from 'Master' to 'Lord Marquis.' Despite following the 'Calamity,' he obediently followed the butler's advice to address him as 'Lord Marquis.'

To stick by his side without constraints, Dan learned swordsmanship. He reached a level where he could serve as a bodyguard.

He made arrangements to secure funds separately from the Marquis's estate. It was only natural.

'If he starts acting as a calamity, the funds accumulated in the Marquis's estate would become difficult to use.'

Dan knew that almost all the Marquis's servants were affiliated with the Emperor.

I did all this. What about you?

'I did all this, and what about you? Is Deon Hart truly the calamity?'

Just being called a calamity by a desperate and delusional sorcerer is no longer enough. It's time for further proof.

So, he provoked.

Whether Deon thought I believed him to be an escort when I pretended not to know anything when I got off the carriage, Dan wanted to see his anger.

'A calamity-like rage.'

...Instead, he received Deon's affectionate care.

Reasonable doubt raised its head.

'You, or rather...'

Is Deon really the calamity?

And now, that doubt had disappeared.

What human could control monsters? It's impossible unless it's a calamity.

In a life-or-death situation, a plant-shaped monster moved. It pierced the attackers, drank blood to grow, and used its roots to freely move around, handling the remaining attackers.

Although it was somewhat disappointing that Deon Hart didn't handle the situation himself, an unidentified figure intervened and saved him.

'Is he... shaking his hands now?'

The person holding Deon Hart, as if cradling a nearly lost cub, had slightly trembling fingertips.

Was there someone who cared for Deon Hart so much? Dan thought his interpersonal relationships were limited and dry.

'...Well, it's not my concern.'

With indifferent eyes, Dan alternately looked at the unidentified figure and Deon Hart, who were caught in this scene. Eventually, he turned his gaze to the monstrous creature and faintly smiled.

Having witnessed this scene, there was no more reason for Dan to doubt Deon Hart.

'Once this is done, when I go back...'

I'll faithfully follow him.

From now on, Dan will never doubt Deon Hart again.

'Let's just watch this for now.'

He observed the situation unfolding with keen interest.

Support arrived, and the figure in the mysterious robe concealed themselves. The self-proclaimed 'real' Marquis Hart aimed at Deon Hart, and the plant moved.