101. Hunting Competition (2)

News of Deon Hart's return spread.

The duke, vigilant of Deon Hart to an extent that seemed puzzling, had been meticulously monitoring Deon Hart's every move since hearing the news.

Departing about 3 hours and 30 minutes before the hunting competition began, he stopped in the upper den midway, picked up a man, and headed back to the destination—all of this information was known.

'But why... no orders?'

Cruel's nerves tensed. By this point, there should have been orders—whether from the revolutionary army or the assassins—orders to send people. Despite the unusual silence, he scrutinized every expression of the duke, studying them one by one. Finally, unable to overcome the silence, Cruel slowly spoke.

"Are you not sending anyone?"

The duke, who had diverted his eyes from the letter he held, gazed at Cruel with a faint smile spreading across his expressionless face.

"Well, there's no need to send someone right now. In a few more hours, it will be much easier to kill, and the circumstances for manipulating death will be more favorable. Is there really a need to go through the trouble now?"

The hunting competition. Cruel's gaze sank.

"It would be better to prepare a bit more until then."

"In that sense, there's a place I hope you return from."

Even though the duke finally moved, Cruel's tense nerves didn't easily relax. As always, Cruel lowered his gaze and awaited the continuation of the conversation.

***

In the end, we decided to go together. I looked at the seat across from the carriage, where Remeber sat with a somber look in his eyes. His courteous black eyes shone as they met mine.

"It's awkward."

Perhaps I should have refused after all. But even Remeber seemed to be urging me to join him on the seat. I had intended to talk about the support as soon as we arrived, but I resisted the idea.

Of course, I didn't easily accept it and subtly expressed my intention to decline.

"Dan requires martial skills..."
"I've learned to handle it at least with one hand!"
"Yes, Count. How about taking this opportunity to see how far you've progressed?"
"...Dammit."

Reflexively, I tightened the hand holding the bag. It seemed frustrating, and a muffled sound of 'gyeok' came from inside.

Dan who had been looking at me tilted his head.

"Uh...? Didn't you just hear something?"
"I, I don't know."

"Gye-e-e..."

Bang!

The window opened abruptly. Startled gazes turned toward me.

"There seems to be a strange sound outside."

"Oh... Is that so?"

Even though there still seemed to be lingering doubt, Dan nodded in agreement.

"Whew... More importantly, how could the upper den grow so much like this? What exactly happened?"

"Well, it distributed various goods, mainly herbs and war materials."

"War materials can't be distributed unless permitted by the Empire, right?"

"Honorable Count Hart was in charge, and the administrative side took care of it."

Did they sell me out? Well, the administrative side that handled it is also a problem.