123. Uncomfortable Daily Life (4)

The sound of my shoe catching on something, a signal that I'm about to fall.

To regain balance, I reflexively swung my arms. Realizing that this might look awkward, I consciously stopped myself from reaching out for the floor or the wall.

"....Ed?"

"Yes... Demon Lord. I apologize."

Ed grabbed one of my arms. Although my body didn't fall due to the processed strength lifting me effortlessly...

A disapproving sound, like a tsk, came from Ed.

"If you don't want to die, you should've just given it up..."

I could vaguely hear him muttering something, but it didn't quite reach me. Maybe he didn't like that I almost fell? No, judging by his apology, it doesn't seem to be the case.

With an uneasy feeling, I glanced around, and my eyes met with the demon who had just threatened me a while ago. A pale face, showing signs of panic to the point of being close to hysteria. Following that gaze, I raised my eyes. I saw Ed's arm that was raised.

More precisely, a pointed, sharply cut wooden skewer clenched in that hand.

"....Ah."

I almost got stabbed while falling. That could have been a big problem. No wonder the demon turned pale.

But more importantly, am I in a life-threatening situation right now?

Even though I never intended to kill a demon. And the wooden skewer in my hand, no matter how sharp it is, is ultimately just a thin piece of wood. It's unlikely that a demon would die from something like that.

'...What should I say in this situation?'

Before I could come up with an appropriate response, Ed moved faster than me.

He opened his mouth carefully, as if testing whether it's okay to say what he was about to say.

"Blocking the way of the Demon Lord, I apologize. But now is not the right time to kill the demons in the Demon King's castle."

"...."

"The... Demon King would also be displeased."

The last words contained a hint of hesitation, questioning whether it's okay to say this.

I never intended to kill any demons in the first place. And what I held in my hand, no matter how pointed, was just a thin wooden skewer. There's no way the demon would die from that.

'...What should I say here?'

Before I could come up with a response, Ed moved.

As if his patience had worn thin, he grabbed my arm again. Due to the force of his grip, my body rose weakly, but I didn't fall...

Ed made a clucking sound with his tongue.

"He dared to block the Demon Lord's way, I apologize. But now is not the right time to kill the demons in the Demon King's castle."

'...?!'

As expected, an inexperienced demon almost died.

Feeling relieved because there was no weapon in his hand, I was wondering if he even knew how to use a wooden skewer.

Although it's just a thin piece of wood that would break with a little force, the degree of sharpness at the end could pose a danger depending on how and where it's used.

The Demon Lord seemed to be trying to stab this demon's eyes with it.

'Probably because he made them wait too long.'