134. Tightrope Walking (8)

Due to Deon Hart's absence, which he used as an excuse to go to the demon realm, the wager between the Duke and Cruel, which had been postponed for a while, commenced as soon as he returned to the Empire.

The loser grants the winner's wish—the person who kills Deon Hart first wins the wager.

"Another day survived."

After receiving a note detailing several assassination attempts and poisonings, Cruel, calculating how many times Deon faced life and death in a single day, closed his eyes.

"Thank goodness."

But the Duke wouldn't give up with just this level of failure.

That's why he entrusted the mission indefinitely.

Knowing the stubbornness of the Duke, despite the fact that money was draining from his pockets like water, Cruel didn't accept the request to protect Deon Hart.

The Duke placed an assassination request, and Cruel submitted a protection request. Moreover, both were for the same person.

Seeing this fact, instead of immediately saying what he thought, the Emperor sat down, half-closed his eyes, raised his hand to his temple, and massaged it slowly.

As his golden eyes wandered around, seemingly focused on nothing in particular, they soon lowered beneath his eyelids. With a practiced hand, the Emperor drew his dagger.

Swoosh!

"...Hoo."

Nemesis' gaze, standing silently, landed on the Emperor's left hand.

As the Emperor, holding the dagger handle, exhaled slowly, blood gushed from his forearm. Nemesis approached calmly and began treatment.

While entrusting his left hand to him, the Emperor's lips curled up when he picked up the dagger again with his right hand and started to hone it.

"...So, one is trying to kill, and the other is trying to protect."

Even those seemingly on the same side.

Especially considering that Deon Hart sincerely hates the person trying to protect him, what can one say about that?

It's too heavy a story to laugh off, but the Emperor didn't have the right to take it seriously.

He forced his reluctant mouth open.

"Really..."

"..."

"What a pitiful fate."

It's not his place to speak as someone who has a hand in that pitiful fate.

Instead of directly addressing Moore, who had been looking at him with piercing eyes, the Emperor left a remark on this grim comedy and passed on the next document.

"It's not finished yet. Please put your hand down."

"...It's become a habit."

He withdrew his hand, which was about to reach for his left forearm without even realizing it.

Ignoring Nemesius' gaze fixed on him, he glanced over the contents of the next document. This document, too, didn't contain good news.

A sigh escaped his lips.

"Another one, huh?"

"..."

"Seems like they never get tired of it. Instead of spreading such rumours, they should think of ways to deal with the demons."