107. They Actually Knew (1)

"The Demon King has declared war. Conflict is inevitable."

There's no way to resolve this peacefully. The spacious room became noisy in an instant.

I understand. In the midst of already being in conflict with other kingdoms, now a war with the Demon World was on the horizon. How will they replenish their lost forces, manage finances, and handle the mental well-being of soldiers worn out by consecutive wars?

"Moreover, even if we manage to win against the Demon World in this war, other kingdoms won't just sit idly by, seeing our empire, exhausted and unable to wage any more wars."

In the midst of strained relationships with other kingdoms, the downfall of the empire seems inevitable.

Knowing the path to ruin but forced to walk it, the Emperor casually spoke.

"We need to focus on the Demon World, so all wars within the human realm will be completely halted."

"Excuse me, Your Majesty, but will the other kingdoms currently at war simply accept this?"

"They have no choice. Besides this empire, there is no other nation capable of facing the Demon World in the human realm."

And the Emperor fell silent for a moment.

Although the words stopped there, I could sense that he was about to add something.

'They will likely need to support the empire instead.'

If the empire falls, will the Demon World really stop there?

No chance. If the empire falls, soon the human realm will fall too.

In this situation, the maximum expression of dissatisfaction other kingdoms can make is probably not supporting the empire. Even that might require active support if the situation becomes precarious.

'Still, there's no need to insist on starting a war with insufficient support from other kingdoms. He probably swallowed those words.'

It's unnecessary to upset the feelings of other kingdoms in the current situation.

The Emperor must have judged it that way.

'But...'

His opinion is based on one assumption.

The assumption that no kingdom will ally with the Demon World.

My head tilted involuntarily. Leaders have seen a lot during wars – human greed and selfishness. Is there really no chance that a powerful ruler with much to lose will not side with the Demon World for their own safety?

'Even the Demon King accepted me as a human.'

It means there's no special animosity or prejudice against humans. If that's the case, they might accept, not reject.

It's easy the first time, but the next will be a battle of wits. Rulers will betray the empire and offer their country to the Demon King for the sake of their safety, not caring about the race. What's important is their own security.

'Well, there's no need to say something uncertain.'

It's still far in the future. I don't want to say things that weren't asked. I looked at the Emperor with a nonchalant expression, pretending not to have thought of anything. He was about to continue his speech.

"So, remember this. From now on..."

"!"

A pungent smell of blood reached my nose.