128. Tightrope Walking (2)

The voice was light, as if it could fly away at any moment.

On the other hand, the other legion commanders stiffened at the thought of something coming.

Given their positions, there was always plenty of information even if they stayed still. Was there really no information about the Empire among them?

"It seems the Emperor is determined to go to war."

"In the end..."

Tsk, murmurs of disapproval were heard here and there.

The minor clashes at the border were always present, so the current "war" they were talking about must surely imply a "full-scale war." Even the legion commanders who enjoyed battles couldn't be entirely happy in this situation. Some of them, feeling that something was amiss, narrowed their eyes in disbelief.

"I thought he would back off if we pressured him enough."

"Does the name of the Demon Realm only hold that much weight for humans? Or is the Emperor genuinely committed to conquering the continent?"

Has time passed to the point where the warning from the Demon Realm seems like a joke?

There must be a reason why the Demon King showed signs of movement. Ignoring the warning and openly declaring war with the Demon Realm, it was an unavoidable situation.

"...We've always coveted the lands of the human realm and have been prepared for war in our own way, but from the Emperor's perspective, it would be more advantageous not to wage war."

Human life is short, but a demon's life is long.

Human realm rulers have to deal with both external and internal enemies, but not the Demon King. The current Demon King, caught up in decadence, has not attacked the human realm directly. However, stories from the past tell of a Demon King who, in his prime, almost annihilated the human realm. Such tales are passed down among the demons, indicating the intensity of that era.

As history tells, in the end, the longer the war lasted, the more disadvantageous it was for the human realm.

Was there a hidden agenda? 4th Legion Commander Idelia expressed her thoughts with a frown.

"Why would he want to engage in such a disadvantageous war... I can't understand. The Emperor I know wasn't foolish."

From the Emperor's perspective, having beings underneath him that could easily split and scatter like rats would be a loss whether he wins or loses.

In case of victory, dealing with the aftermath of a hard-fought war is a problem, and losing an external enemy, "Demon Realm," which is a means to control the human realm and even the Empire, is also a loss. In case of defeat... it goes without saying.

"Instead of engaging in a full-scale war, it would be more beneficial to maintain a relationship of occasional conflict and withdrawal, strengthening imperial authority. Why insist on..."

It was heard that the imperial forces were responsible for the borders of each kingdom. That meant the influence of the Empire, obtained through the use of the Demon Realm, was considerable.

Despite calling the Emperor foolish, Idelia could not deny that she didn't know the whole picture. The Demon King, smiling as if he found it amusing, spoke again, looking at Deon.

"Now, let's take it step by step. Idelia, what do you think the Emperor values the most?"

"Well... 'Responsibility,' I suppose."