150. Cruel Truth, Cruel Fate (3)

The answer did not come immediately. The low-sinking red eyes seemed to be looking at the ground, then back at the Demon King, and then back to the ground.

After a while, a somewhat cracked voice flowed out roughly.

"Do you know why the Duke behaved that way?"

"...No? How could I possibly know the inner thoughts of a mere human."

Could it be that he noticed something? The Demon Lord's nerves twitched.

Fortunately, as if he had just thrown it out there, Deon lowered his eyes once and said, "Is that so?" before raising his head again and bringing up the original question as if nothing had happened.

"...Is it possible... to turn back time with magic?"

"Hmm?"

Momentarily surprised by the unexpected question, the Demon Lord, realizing the intention behind this question, furrowed his eyebrows as if he felt sorry for something.

"Magic isn't omnipotent. There are areas that cannot be touched no matter what measures you take, and among them, the most representative are resurrecting the dead and turning back time."

"...I see. I understand."

"...."

The Demon Lord, who had expected more agitation and convulsions from Deon's response, was about to call for Ben, who was waiting outside, to come in and take action. But he paused at the much calmer and composed reaction than he had anticipated.

Noticing the Demon King's hesitation, Deon turned calmly. Walking towards the door, he glanced back at the Demon Lord before putting his hand on the handle as if it were his original purpose.

"I'll be going back to the human world for a while."

"...."

Instead of a response, a bewildering silence returned, but it seemed sufficient to him as he placed his hand on the doorknob.

The Demon King didn't insist on holding him back.

...

"Sir Arut!"

As he opened the door and stepped out, Ben was there to meet him.

He hurriedly approached with a flushed face, as if he had been waiting in front of the door. There was evident concern in his eyes as he scanned Deon's physical condition.

"Are you alright? Your fever is still high, and if you move like this..."

"...."

"....Demon... Lord...?"

"...."

It didn't take long for him to notice that something was off.

As he walked unsteadily, matching Deon's steps and offering various worried advice without being able to support him, Ben suddenly stopped in his tracks. While he remained still, Deon continued to walk as if he didn't see him, moving further away.

Resembling someone who had lost his mind, Ben hurriedly approached from the side.

"Demon Lord, can you hear me?"

"...."

"Demon Lord?"

"...."

"Demon Lord!"

"Ugh, cough!"

Blood splattered on the corridor.

Though he should have acted quickly as usual, Ben couldn't bring himself to move.