132. Tightrope Walking (6)

I hastily pulled my hood over my face. Despite my efforts, the gaze that seemed to have already deduced my identity showed no signs of relenting.

"Danny, is that you?"

"......"

Even the student who had been listening to the explanation seemed to sense something amiss and turned around. However, the student's actions ceased under the teacher's restraint, named Daniel.

After fidgeting with his waist a few times, he glanced at my mouth, frowned, then turned around and urged the student forward with a couple of taps on the back, as if to prompt them to continue walking.

"Shall we discuss the rest later?"

"Your Excellency..."

"...I got it, I got it."

I'll handle the paperwork. Really.

Now, I completely abandoned any lingering thoughts with a mere nod of my head to Daniel's call.

Yeah, I can't keep putting off the paperwork forever. I steeled myself and looked down at the papers on the desk... Ugh, I really don't want to do this. There's even more paperwork because of the war.

"Is it because I'm feeling under the weather that I'm even more reluctant?"

To clear my mind, I stretched and leaned back against the chair, allowing my body to relax. The moment a black blur passed in front of me was almost simultaneous.

...Huh?!

"Ma... Your Excellency!"

What the hell! Why did a sword pass in front of me!

Startled, I instinctively straightened up, only to collide head-on with someone's jaw and my fragile forehead, producing a loud thud! The collision occurred almost simultaneously.

"Ouch...!"

"Oof!"

That hurt... Judging by the burst of sparks I saw for a moment, I must have hit pretty hard... But is the guy I collided with okay? It was his jaw, after all.

I quickly grabbed onto the desk with one hand, rubbing my forehead a few times before lifting my head. As the attacker and I both slumped, I noticed Daniel holding a sword to the attacker's neck, his eyes gradually coming into view.

...Wait, no, it's more than just holding a sword.

'What are you doing... trying to kill before even knowing the background?'

The dagger was already partly embedded in the flesh.

I looked at the ruthless thing, which was covered in blood, with disgusted eyes, then shifted my gaze to Daniel. He met my gaze, his eyes only moving to look at me, then fixed back on the attacker with a cautious tone.

"It seems... you've been feeling chills since earlier, saying you were working on paperwork but not really doing anything..."

"Uhh?"

"Was that 'chill' a signal? I apologize for not noticing."

It wasn't at all... But I don't need an apology...

Ignoring the throbbing pain in my forehead, I rolled my eyes, trying to play it off.

...Yeah, it's better this way.

"I'm... fine. You couldn't have known."

As time passed, I was becoming more shameless.

From the moment the soldiers Daniel called rushed in and began arresting the attacker, another shadow that had been silently observing the entire scene spoke up after a moment of silence.