137. The Crumbling Golden Dam (2)

The problem was that due to the circumstances, the Marquis hadn't completely subdued his opponent without getting injured.

"Cough."

Blood came out.

Without missing a beat, the demon rose to his feet. The third hero of the empire threw his dagger even as blood gushed from his mouth.

The dagger narrowly missed the demon's face, as if trembling due to the arterial spray.

"If his condition had been okay, that would have definitely hit."

The demon seemed to feel the same way, as he turned pale and staggered back before fleeing in a hurry.

He was one of those trying to catch the marquis in such a state. We couldn't let him escape.

With determination, the knight drew his sword and tried to chase after the demon...

"Cough, cough! Cough-kerack! Khek, kack!!"

"Marquis!"

He might be angry. From the marquis's perspective, he probably hoped the demon would be caught rather than prioritizing his own safety.

But still, the marquis's safety came first.

Preparing for a severe reprimand later, the knight sheathed his sword again and hurried over to Deon Hart.

The Demon Lord sacrificed himself. His figure, urging me to go even as he spat out blood...

He had gone so far, I couldn't afford to be stubborn. Ben reluctantly stepped back, biting his lips.

"We need to treat you..."

Instead of treating him, I've become a burden.

The signal had never been so strong before. It wasn't just a simple arterial bleed signal, but one indicating significant bleeding due to trauma.

Maybe that's why I panicked. When I came to my senses, I had somehow succeeded in escaping, after always failing before.

Meeting the Demon Lord, I finally felt joy in being able to examine his wounds directly...

"Cough, cough! Cough-kerack! Khek, kack!!"

"Marquis!"

I sensed the imperial knight, who had been chasing after me with intense coughing, turning back to the Demon Lord.

My pace slowed in despair. There was no one following me. Ben stood there and muttered softly.

"Lord Demon... You truly are a noble."

I had expected him to be of noble birth, but...

"He seems to have a status in the human realm as well."

Was it for the sake of being a spy? Since he went out under the pretext of carrying out the Demon Lord's mission, the Demon Lord must have been aware as well.

Even to roughly grasp such an important and confidential matter. If I were to die for knowing this, I wouldn't have anything to say.

So let's just leave it at that. Ben consciously stopped his brain from calculating and understanding more.

"In the end, it's my fault for finding out."

I had no intention of digging into his information, and even now, after finding out some of it, I still didn't know anything.

So...

"I know nothing."

Ben chose to forget it completely.