157. Traitor of Humanity, Deon Hart (5)

"Long ago... roughly three hundred years ago, there was a major war between the human realm and the demon realm, and at that time, these were installed as a standard in each fortress of the human realm."

Of course. The barriers were part of sorcery, and sorcery was meant to counter magic.

Humans found a way to bind the most threatening weapons of the demons.

"What was installed back then still remains, or the method hasn't been lost and has been newly installed... it's something like that."

With this, another shackle was placed on the hands and feet of the demons.

The more he sorted out the situation, the more Deon Hart remained calm.

No, he was rather impressed.

"I can't blame the fall of the fortress on the delay in my calculations."

It was almost remarkable that despite moving according to the words of the commander-in-chief ignorant of demons, they were still conquered.

He habitually tapped the desk with his fingers.

There was no need to question why it wasn't mentioned earlier. It was his own fault for not asking first about the topic where he had to prove his worth to the demon king and show competence to the commanders.

Instead, he asked a question.

"... We should assume the worst, so it's better to think that the method hasn't been lost for now. What is the range of these barriers you mentioned?"

"It varies depending on the skill and intention of the sorcerer, so I can't say for sure... but generally, most of the ones installed in the fortresses were able to suppress magic within a radius of 2 to 3 km."

"It seems we can't rely on magic during sieges. Can magic really not be used at all? What about breaking through with very strong magic...?"

"Unless you're my contractor, you won't be able to use magic within it. Breaking through would be even more impossible. If it's through some other means besides magic, it might be easier."

"Other means...?"

"Breaking it isn't difficult once you know the core. Just slightly disturbing the object or place chosen as the axis will break it."

There were even cases where it was broken by the foot of an unsuspecting pedestrian passing by the core of the barrier.

"Of course, finding the core is a separate issue."

"...It means it's difficult to find. Understood. Let's return to the topic of the contract."

"Before that, it's better to keep this in mind."

"...What...?"

Deon, who noticed the faint mischievousness in the voice, was about to ask a question but closed his mouth. There was no need to ask; it would be said anyway.

And sure enough.

"The method to suppress demon magic isn't just the barriers. If an individual carries a specific talisman, the demon they're facing can't use magic. It's more accurate to say it applies to demons within a radius of 3 meters."

Information was thrown out like a mercy.

"Even though it's unclear whether this method has been lost, it would still be better for you to know, right?"

The demon king smiled with narrowed eyes.

When tiptoeing between the demon king and the emperor, Deon never mentioned information that wasn't asked first. Was it a form of retaliation? Just like how Deon behaved back then, after he turned to my side, he diligently answered only the 'asked questions'.