110. They Actually Knew (4)

Gone! They left without even looking back!

A dull silence settled in. I rolled my eyes quietly, glancing at Stigma, trying to understand what kind of conversation we could have. What could be so important to discuss with me? Just as I stood there frozen, unsure if it was about something unpleasant, a crisp voice behind me interrupted my thoughts.

"Did I make you angry by rolling my eyes?"

"....?"

"Looks like you're angry. But whether it's anger or a conversation, it's proper etiquette to look at a person's face. Even if meeting my eyes makes you want to kill me."

Is he joking? It must be a joke, right?! Who would kill whom?

I can't possibly kill the "real hero" to begin with. Surprised, I turned my head, and when our eyes met, Stigma, instead of looking annoyed, casually smiled, delivering a stern remark.

"Shall we walk for a bit? Or is there a place you'd like to go?"

".... How about the outdoor banquet area?"

I hope they won't try to kill me in a crowded place. It doesn't seem likely, but you never know with people.

... My throat is parched, and there's an urgent need for a drink.

"The banquet area... Well, sure. If that's what you want, Junior."

Despite being a somewhat inappropriate place for private conversation, he seemed not to care, leading the way nonchalantly. I followed him with unsteady steps, momentarily, and finally arrived in a brightly lit space.

─ The outdoor banquet area. Yes, it was indeed the outdoor banquet area...

"...Damn it."

The welcoming party wasn't just illuminated by the lights. Realizing that I had inadvertently moved to a place where I would be noticed, I mentally scolded myself.

"I moved to avoid this...!"

Am I like a fish?

Nobles paid attention to the two heroes among them. Watching them curiously, exchanging glances and muttering among themselves, they discreetly approached. It wasn't overtly joining the conversation, making it ambiguous to point it out.

Such behaviours were resolved when Stigma stepped forward. He didn't say anything in particular.

After glancing at me with rolling eyes, he took a step forward, making a sound. Holding his head high enough to be arrogant but naturally fitting, he silently scanned the nobles. The brown eyes revealed under the light carried a chilly glint.

As if retreating like receding water, the nobles moved away.

"Wow..."

"Why are you like this?"

"No, it's nothing. You have brown eyes."

The last sentence was something that slipped out without any thought.

Green hair and brown eyes. Somehow, it reminded me of the colour of trees, and I thought it wasn't a big deal...

"Yeah, it's a very common and vulgar colour."

"...?"

"It's just a joke. How about a glass of wine?"

Even though I accepted the glass extended to me, I couldn't hide my confusion. I was bewildered.

What? The tone was so elegant that I almost overlooked it, but was that it? It's the language of high society that inserts a knife into words! "Common and vulgar colour" he says. Was it because I mentioned brown eyes? Why... Ah.