141. The Crumbling Golden Dam (6)

Stigma, who seemed to have been observing me intently while I was lost in thought, quietly called out to me.

"Are you aware that your mood fluctuates drastically?"

"Yes?"

"You seem quite precarious. Can you assure me that there's no problem?"

"Excuse me?"

"...Regardless of what answer you give, the outcome will be the same since it's not within my domain."

With that said, he reached out and lightly brushed my eyes.

"At least you're not crying now. That's fortunate. If incidents like this happen frequently, it could be troublesome. I hope it gets resolved soon."

"..."

That's it, then.

A brief silence ensued.

While the medical officer was busy, what seemed to be a concluded conversation turned into a lecture.

"You could have avoided it at the time. Don't you think?"

"..."

"Of course, killing the commander is crucial. But if the method involves throwing yourself into enemy weapons and getting injured, then I'd give you the worst score possible. You should have avoided it altogether."

Brown eyes scrutinized the healing wound again.

I couldn't feel much due to the anesthesia, but how serious could it be? Just as I turned my head to examine the wound, Stigma pressed my head firmly.

"Don't move; it might interfere with the treatment. Besides, do you know why the enemy retreated when you killed their commander?"

Well... because the commander died?

"I was nearby. If it was just you killing the commander, they wouldn't have simply retreated, leaving behind a good prey with injuries. Even if they retreated, you would have pursued and killed them."

"..."

"Do you understand? Your judgment today was the worst."

He's hitting me right where it hurts...

I know he's right, but it still hurts.

"You killed the commander, but you also suffered significant injuries, failed to boost the morale of our allies. As a result, our allies had to let the retreating enemies go. Why? Because one of the high-ranking individuals here, you, suffered significant injuries."

"..."

"If we continue to block the exit while trying to stop the battle, it won't end. Even if an ordinary soldier dies, the battle will continue. However, the higher one's rank, the more sensitive they become to that person's death and injuries. It can even influence whether the battle ends or not."

"Your actions weren't entirely wrong. It was just a bad judgment. Such actions should only be taken when there's truly no other option after carefully assessing the situation."

"..."

"Your unusual condition was probably the cause of it, which led to the wrong judgment, right? You seemed incapable of rational thinking. If you think about it, this injury was also caused by your lapse in focus during the war."

Now that I think about it, it's starting to ache again.

Ah, now that I think about it, I'm craving that potion again.