108. They Actually Knew (2)

To think that the stakes gambled for the sake of survival were one's own life. What kind of comedy was this?

Nevertheless, it was satisfying in the end. — It had been satisfying.

Only until the Emperor tried to disrupt the balance he had barely achieved.

"Yeah, I held out for a long time. I knew that this situation would come sooner or later. But...."

To clash head-on like this.

It was a question that couldn't be answered immediately. The Emperor, seeming to be aware of the fact, released the hand resting on his shoulder and took a step back, speaking with an air of generosity.

"It's sudden, so I'll give you some time to think. I hope you answer after careful consideration."

"...I appreciate your consideration."

"Yeah. I won't stay here for long this time."

That would be fair.

Whether this action was conveyed to the Demon King or not didn't matter. Given that Deon Hart hadn't spoken first until now, the Demon King he had come to know would soon realize it, whether he announced it or not.

Rather than feeling discomfort about having thrown down the gauntlet, the Demon King would probably press and tempt Deon Hart even more.

What the Demon King gave him, what he could give in return, and what better thing he could offer. Among them, what he could immediately provide....

"...Acknowledging your efforts, I will promote your position to the honorary marquis. Perhaps all the documents will be processed by tomorrow."

"...."

There were no questions about the suddenness or concerns about the nobles' opposition in such a situation. There wasn't even a word of thanks, but the Emperor casually brushed it off.

It was natural. There was no reason to thank or wish for consideration for an action that clearly revealed its intentions. He just added a remark.

"Let me say it again. You are human."

The Emperor gestured for him to withdraw and extended his hand. Deon, who had been quietly watching his back, turned and took a step.

And paused.

"...What happened to Esperance?"

"It was indeed a fortress as they said."

He failed. Realizing once again that Remember doesn't lie, Deon stopped his steps.

She made a mistake. The princess chewed on well-groomed nails.

Since it was known that she liked Deon Hart, she should have handed him a ribbon before the hunting competition. At least, she should have given him a handkerchief.

'Of all times.'

To have completely forgotten that fact.

The Emperor, her uncle, had moved with him. Even though she didn't know everything, her 'sense,' surpassing imagination, was telling her what kind of situation this was.

They were trying to firmly tie him down here without settling anywhere else, as if he were floating alone in wealth. Perhaps persuading him gently would be difficult for her uncle's personality. Even if he pretended to be gentle, his firm and sharp nature would soon be revealed.

'It could have been helpful.'

Her uncle was closer to a tyrant than a saint, closer to a ruthless king than a benevolent ruler. Persuasion or coercion from such a person would lead to extreme results. If he accepted, he would serve her uncle faithfully, but if he refused, he would become a thorough enemy.