116. They Actually Knew (10)

Inherently rough and lacking visible emotions on his face, Deon, who was awkward in expressing himself, now understood that he unintentionally caused mental anguish for Hart.

When he was sent to the battlefield due to a clerical error, thinking that there might be some problems never crossed Deon's mind. However, recalling how he immediately blamed his family without considering any potential issues when he ended up on the battlefield, he couldn't help but realize how little trust his family had in him.

But Cruel, while acknowledging Hart's partial responsibility for the tragic incident, did not entirely blame it on himself and his family. There was a more direct culprit responsible.

The Duke.

He was the one who sent Deon Hart to the battlefield. For some reason, under unknown circumstances, and using unknown means, the Duke manipulated the list of names that should have included Hart's name. He sent people who wouldn't easily communicate to bring Deon Hart out of the mansion.

Even his father's polite persuasion didn't work. Despite offering a reasonable alternative of sending Cruel in Deon's place, they only focused on finding Deon Hart as if brainwashed, ignoring any reasonable alternatives.

It was incomprehensible.

'What had that boy done wrong?'

Cruel, realizing later that the incident was related to the Duke, quietly observed him since then.

The inexplicable malice toward Deon Hart. It showed no signs of fading even after the war ended. On the contrary, it seemed to grow stronger.

That's why Cruel intentionally went under his command...

'But that's for later.' (T/N: a surprise tool that will help later perhaps?)

Now was not the time to dwell on that.

At the unexpected question, the Duke's head lifted. His eyes contained a faint suspicion.

He usually responded only to questions without initiating conversation. Did he really want to save Deon Hart?

As the Duke's eyes narrowed, Cruel, realizing that he might have asked the wrong question, spoke a beat too late.

"I have sufficient reason to kill him. However, it seems your reason is not sufficient."

"As the representative of the nobility, isn't it enough to kill the Emperor's dog?"

"..."

"Apparently not enough."

He has a keen sense.

Indeed, it wasn't just about removing him for that reason. Deon Hart posed a threat to the Empire.

From the Duke's perspective, who would become the ruler of the Empire, it was unacceptable to leave such a threat unattended.

Why was Deon Hart a threat to the Empire?

"If you think about the order I gave to Kyung when Deon Hart moved with the Emperor's mission, you can recall the reason."

[As you chase the traces of the revolutionary army, there will be someone behind Deon Hart watching him under the Emperor's command. Kill that person. And if the conditions are right to chase Deon Hart, confirm where he is going and follow.]

"..."

"Ah, you probably didn't know."

When he dealt with the matter, Deon Hart had already left the place.