104. The Hunting Competition (5)

104. Hunting Competition (5)

So, Cruel refused the title of a viscount, and in the end, the position was taken by such an unheard-of creature from a side branch of the family.

"There was indeed a side branch. If I, the direct descendant, didn't know, it would be almost the same as anyone else."

He even became the patriarch.

Well, it's not entirely unexpected. Although Hart claimed that Cruel had 'perished,' as long as the direct descendants with the Hart surname are alive, there is no chance of being excluded from the aristocratic lineage. Moreover, considering that 'back then,' not all relatives perished, there was still potential for recovery.

...No, can we really call this a 'recovery'?

A laugh escaped from me. My expression is probably one with a broad smile. The side-line relative, stumbling to establish his pride, is not even worthy of catching my eye.

I kept my eyes closed, laughed, and spoke with sincerity.

"Well done."

"..."

"Congratulations."

Even without an official title, official heroes in the Empire are generally respected. If the Emperor shows interest, cherishes them, and even occasionally provides for the maintenance of dignity, it means everything has been said.

To blatantly disrespect such a hero? That's just plain foolishness.

This fool must have seated himself in the viscount position through his own power, and probably, driven by greed, Hart's relatives took advantage of the fool who was easy to manipulate and placed him in that position.

So, I laughed.

The fact that Hart is crumbling like this.

It pleased me too much.

"Why is a 'honorable viscount' referred to as a 'viscount'... Tsk."

When that statement was heard, the nobles quietly held their breath. I don't understand why they bother to pick a fight with him. Does that man even realize that he's inviting anger upon himself?

Why would 'Honorable Viscount Hart' be called 'Viscount Hart'? Perhaps out of respect?

Calling him 'Honorable Viscount' is not for the sake of respect. The lengthy title is the second reason.

Deon Hart is an imperial hero, the Emperor's beloved sword, and the lord of a bordering territory, the Balançay Viscount. That reason alone was sufficient.

Nobles who didn't want to provoke the sentiments of a man with various terrible rumors by forcibly calling him 'Honorable Viscount' and disturbing the peace were content to simply call Deon Hart 'Viscount.'

"Who is that man?"

"He was often seen in society these days... I don't pay much attention, so I don't know."

"Well... judging by his actions, he seems vulgar. Could he be a noble from a distant region?"

"Who knows. Regardless... given his behavior, I don't particularly want to show interest. Perhaps a noble from a remote area?"

"Who knows. Whether it's someone I don't know, he seems foolish. Would he want to see bloodshed."

The attention of the nobles, pretending not to notice, was focused on the small disturbance.

Despite the sudden provocation, the man who remained calm and unruffled, Deon Hart,  finally threw a question. No one was interested in the man's identity until Deon Hart asked. The man's status, which nobody cared about, was revealed with the questioning.