149. Cruel Truth, Cruel Fate (2)

The 0th Corps Commander resumed his halted steps.

The gatekeepers, sensing the heat radiating from him as if the rumours of his suffering from a fever were true, could do nothing but stiffen their bodies.

'No matter how you look at it... he should rest in his room rather than in the library...'

Ignoring the concerns of the gatekeepers, Deon Hart stepped into the library.

A librarian, who was on one side, noticed him and stood up abruptly, but Deon, as if he didn't see him, stood in front of a familiar bookshelf.

The book he was aiming for was not hard to find.

[Information on the Heroes of the Current Empire]

[Authors: Idellia, Devellania]

He had pressed Idellia and Devellania to provide information about Cruel. He even urged them to gather it by force if necessary. Although the scope was extensive and it seemed like it would take a long time, he even forced them to shorten the time.

He had no intention of idling away the empty time while they were gathering information.

Deon reached out and took out the book. Skipping through the contents randomly, he stopped at the part where Cruel's portrait appeared. His familiar red eyes met his.

[(Former) Fourth Hero. Cruel Hart. (Currently deceased. Information scheduled for deletion.)]

[Known to have a blood relation with the Third Hero, Deon Hart. Although known to be from the faction opposed to the Emperor's people... ]

Yes, earlier he had closed the book here.

His grip tightened. Without even blinking, Deon read the next passage.

[...Rather than faithfully following orders, tends to exhibit behaviour that suppresses distortion or neutralization of the Duke's commands.]

It was unlikely that the Duke entrusted Cruel with major information processing tasks, so even if the orders given were not clear, they would likely have been of the kind that involved killing or burying someone.

So, who was the person the Duke primarily wanted to kill?

Although his head was not clear due to the fever, Deon could still find the answer in that situation.

"...Ha."

He just laughed.

"Hahaha... Ahahahaha!!"

He felt like he was going crazy. Truly losing his mind.

He never imagined that the intelligence he had praised as exceptional in his youth would be so infuriating.

If he had read this when Cruel was still alive, he could have laughed it off, saying it would never be him as the target. And then, he would have started investigating to overcome the discomfort.

The Duke who gives orders to harm someone and Cruel, who acts as a filter in between.

And since Cruel died protecting me, it's like he stamped suspicion out of existence with the first clue that emerged.

There couldn't be clearer evidence than this.

Deon laughed hysterically, vomiting blood without restraint.

It was me.

You were protecting me.

Who would be more irritating to the leader of the noble faction?