140. The Crumbling Golden Dam (5)

How could a subordinate receive such levels of affection? This surpasses the boundaries of a superior-subordinate relationship. How can a subordinate with such cruel tendencies receive such levels of affection...

Swallowing his doubts, Stigma spoke up.

"You often use profanity during battles. While using refined language might seem odd on a harsh battlefield, vulgar language only diminishes your dignity, so try to refrain from it. Try to refrain from even thinking about it as much as possible."

"Just thinking about it..."

"Thoughts eventually turn into words. Words frequently spoken become habits. Profanity, in particular, is the kind of habit that's easy to form, so where would one even begin to correct it? It's better to nip it in the bud."

"..."

Flicking his index and middle fingers against the lips of the guy muttering that it's already a habit, Stigma continued.

"It's for the sake of your subordinates."

That's when it started. Stigma began slapping my mouth.

Whenever I cursed, he would call it a 'habit' and flick his fingers against my lips, causing pain that made me close my mouth even if it hurt.

What can I do if it's already become a habit? S...hit.

"Did you just think of a curse?"

"Ah... no."

"Your eyes seemed like you were thinking of one."

Oh no!

As if inspecting the veracity of a weapon he was checking, he scanned me. Due to the heightened senses from impending combat, I keenly sensed where his gaze fell.

From my eyes to my lips, his gaze swept over my entire face before fixing back on my eyes.

"Hmm... before the battle starts, should I offer one more piece of advice?"

"Yes...?"

What else does he want to say?

"It seems like signaling has become a habit for you, but for clearer communication, it's better to accompany your words with signals. In the chaos, who's going to notice your signals, Subordinates? You should at least make a sound to catch your subordinate's attention."

Ah, that's... there's someone who keenly observes my signals, so it should be fine.

Well, now that there's no need to hide anymore, it's probably better to make some noise... but habits are scary. Unconsciously, I'm making gestures too.

Anyway, from then on, Stigma started giving advice like this whenever he found an opportunity. Is it his duty as a senior? It seems like it, and since his advice is quite useful, I'm listening well... but the conclusions always seem strange.

[All of this doesn't matter if you're overwhelmingly powerful.]

Might makes right.

Elegance? Atmosphere? Etiquette? If your power is overwhelming, you don't need any of that...

[But since there are other authorities above you, and you yourself don't possess the remnants of a hero, you can't consider the power you possess as 'overwhelming'. Moreover, wouldn't it be much easier for others to read the atmosphere and submit before you without you needing to display your strength?]

...Hmm, I worry about Stigma's character.

But as long as he treats me well, it shouldn't matter, right? If someone heard, they would also worry about my character, I thought to myself as I bought a belt for the dagger that was hanging on my waist.