117. Individual Movements (1)

"...I understand your urgency, but it's best to calm down for now. Surely, you know that the timing is not right to initiate such actions."

"That's why I only came up with this much. If not, it would have been manipulation, not swaying public opinion."

"Even a slight wavering of public sentiment is a significant threat to the Empire now. With the war against the Demon Realm approaching, it's not good for public opinion to be unsettled."

"The central command keeps emphasizing the need for action every day. If we don't do at least this much, we'll be in trouble. Your Excellency, how much do you think is appropriate? Do you want us not to move at all?"

"Yes."

"...What?"

"It's better not to move right away. It would be wise to stop all the activities we've been doing so far. With the impending war against the Demon Realm, the Empire's strength is crucial. Internal division is poison."

The Duke spoke with a broad perspective, letting the informal language slide.

"It's also a good time for you to cool your head. Do you realize how impatient you seem right now?"

"..."

"Answer?"

Due to dealing with Cruel, the words came out with high pressure.

He sneakily glanced to see if the observant man in front of him noticed anything. Fortunately, Daniel, who had not paid much attention, kept his mouth shut and slowly nodded without much expression.

"...Understood."

It's fortunate. At least he seems to be subdued for now.

However, his mother's health would deteriorate over time, and, in turn, the mental state of the leader of the revolutionary army would also be shaken. How long the temporary suppression would last was uncertain.

Watching Daniel leave with an apology, the Duke closed his eyes and let out a silent sigh.

It wasn't suppression; it was giving in.

Returning to the revolutionary army base after closing the door, Daniel began to slowly roll his head. His eyes had been cold for a long time.

Even if he wasn't in his right mind, it wasn't to the extent that he couldn't feel bitterness upon hearing 'those words.' The Duke had let his guard down.

"I woke up thanks to you, at least."

His mind had been hasty, and his eyes had been blurred. He was about to rush recklessly for his goal without any plan. If it weren't for the Duke, all the patience he had shown so far would have been in vain.

But that line.

"For now, it's better not to move. It would be good to stop all the activities we've been doing so far."

And then,

"Answer?"

Thanks to that, his mind cooled down a bit, and he understood the situation somewhat.

The Duke did not wish for the Empire to collapse. Not only now but also before, and probably in the future.

The nature of the discomfort he had been feeling gradually became apparent.

"That's right. Where can you find someone willing to willingly give up such a high position as 'Duke'?"

He had contacted the revolutionary army to suppress them, presumably.