142. Plaudite (1)

142. Plaudite (1)

This was a first.

There was a subtle relationship between the Duke and Cruel. While Cruel followed the Duke as his subordinate, the Duke also treated Cruel with respect, creating a relationship that was neither strictly hierarchical nor completely equal.

As such, the Duke addressed Cruel with the title '경' (Gyeong), distinguishing him from his other subordinates, and Cruel had knelt before the Duke only once, out of suspicion.

The Duke, looking down at Cruel who was bowing his head, rose from his chair.

With just two steps, he reached Cruel, who was initially close by, and placed his boot on Cruel's hand, which was resting on the floor.

"How should I deal with you, Gyeong?"

The weight of his boot pressed down on Cruel's hand.

"I'm not the kind of person to give second chances to spies or traitors."

Cruel was silent.

"And you've squandered the chance I gave you."

The Duke was convinced.

"Bringing the Hart territory as a reward for the Gusan incident was probably meant for Deon Hart, who refused the Hart territory."

Thud. Thunk.

A menacing sound was heard as if the bones in his hand were being crushed under the weight of the boot.

Despite the apparent pain, Cruel kept his gaze fixed on the floor, unmoving, as the Duke looked at him with a harsh gaze.

"And now you'll probably go so far as to kill Deon Hart rather than protect him..."

Cruel remained silent.

"There's probably evidence. Originally, I should have killed you or expelled you at least, but what can I do when I cherish you, Gyeong?"

Giving another chance is necessary.

The Duke lifted his boot from Cruel's hand after one last press and kneeled in front of him. He grasped Cruel's shoulders with one hand, bowed his head close to his ear, and whispered.

"Kill Deon Hart."

"!"

Even Cruel's body, which had shown no signs of trembling even when his hand was crushed, shuddered at the Duke's gesture.

The Duke pretended not to notice.

"Come back with his neck in your hands, by your own hand. This is the last chance I'm giving you, Gyeong."

He would close his eyes, so don't entertain any foolish thoughts.

As the Duke left and Cruel was left alone, Cruel stood up. His crushed hand was now swollen and discoloured with shades of purple, blue, and red.

Without caring, he cleared the chessboard on the table and brought out another one.

A chessboard given as a gift by a child who stayed only at the mansion. Although it was worn out from being used repeatedly, Cruel had never forgotten it, even when he left the mansion where the tragedy occurred.

'Cruel, kill the child yourself.'

Thud.

The pieces moved on the worn-out chessboard.

The Duke himself said it was the last chance. If he failed or showed any strange signs, he would surely be killed. Generally, all of the Empire's official heroes were under the Emperor's protection, but under the Duke, who was on the opposing side, even heroes could be under the Emperor's protection.