126. Guardian Of The World (3)

126. Guardian of the World (3)

"It seems you're suspicious."

"No, it's not that..."

The Elven King tidied up the herb box, dismissing the human's negativity. It wasn't a statement made with any particular intention, so it didn't matter what response he received.

Instead, the Elven King grabbed the human, who was subtly trying to step back, and carefully examined him from head to toe.

A petite figure, a seemingly fragile body at first glance. The distinctiveness of red eyes, rather than distinguishing him from other humans, seemed to act as a hindrance to his activities due to its weakness to light, ultimately lacking positive aspects.

'...I still don't get it.'

Why is the world paying attention to this human? The Elven King, as the leader of the sensitive Elves in tune with the will and flow of the world, could sense it from the moment he first saw him.

The world is expecting something from this human.

What that something is, he doesn't know. The world didn't directly reveal it, and nothing entered or exited the world's mind—given that it didn't even have a 'mind' to begin with. All he could do was speculate.

'Since when was it? When did the world start paying attention to this guy?'

He may not know, but it must have been quite a long time. Observing the movements of this world had been happening for a very long time. When he first discovered the flow... about ten years ago.

Even so, encountering him directly happened recently. It wasn't something planned; it just passed by like a breeze.

An unexpected first meeting. Although short, the Elven King, who examined him thoroughly during a sufficient time to define the other party, recalled it with doubt and suspicion.

Certainly, the human in front of him is the one the world is paying attention to. A weak human with only a slightly strong scent of blood. Could the world have made a wrong judgment?

He narrowed his eyes. It seemed that the world was discreetly working to strengthen that fragile body.

'...In that case, it's like pouring water into a leaking jar. Oh well.'

The Elven King lightly clicked his tongue and averted his gaze.

'If there's nothing special about him physically, is he being noticed due to a particular situation?'

It's too early to doubt the world's judgment. Since the world is not an entity with a physical body and emotions but a system, there has been only one mistake in judgment so far.

Let's see, what was his situation?

The only human traveling between the human realm and the demon realm. Even the ruler of the Empire, who could be considered the center of the human world, and the Demon Lord, both cherished him and gave him important positions.

'...Oh, wait.'

There, the Elven King could think of one possibility.

He retraced his thoughts, shifted his gaze back to the human, rolled his head.

Taking a closer look, he could see it. The improvement the world was making on that body. If it was about making the body sturdy or healthy, the Elven King could understand. But this was not that kind of enhancement.

'Enhancements and modifications to better absorb the power of the world.'

If his health had improved, it was probably a side effect of this process.