- Reflections -

Simon's arrest and convictions made seismic waves beneath the IRA-SC.

The IRA security council had monitored the situation from afar. It was well known that they had taken a hostile stance towards James. Simon had brought the heat on Sinn Fein's political party in Northern Ireland. 

Although the council was supposedly ineffectual, it still held absolute control over the R-IRA. 

One member, Ken had already been reprimanded by the SC. He was warned to stay away after Christy's death. Ken was an ultra nationalist from west Belfast. The SC bugged his house, bars he drank in, his phone and his car. 

Ken's own sister was married to an IRA man who was killed in Finglas, Dublin 11. Christy was his own nephew. After the murder, Christy vanished, firstly moving to London, then to Alicante. 

The council granted Ken his long overdue respect. Simon couldn't be got at but Raymond Benson could be taken. An alternative solution was to make DDCO suffer abroad. They were going after James unpaid drug debts in Ireland. He owed 20% on all profits however he refused to pay from Dubai. In this instance the council were Judge and Jury. 

The solution entailed using Hashim's people in Algeria, to snatch Ray. Nothing would be traced to Belfast or Ireland.