Chapter Forty-Eight: A Better Version

Rhea's POV:

I take a deep breath as I stand in front of the familiar red door I haven't seen in at least a year. I look at the golden door knocker on it and place my hand on it, hesitant as to if I'm ready for this.

"Knock already or I'm going to open the fucking door." Emory says, becoming impatient.

"Give me a minute." I whisper yell.

"I've given you five. I'm going to strip you of your moment to prepare yourself for this conversation if you don't hurry up." She lectures.

I sigh as I pound the door knocker and wait. I feel my anxiety creep into my chest as I hear distant movement behind the door and instantly turn around. I take one step down the steps as a confused Emory grabs my arm to stop me.

"Whoa, what are you doing?" She asks.

"I'm not ready." I state, my eyes filled with panic as I look into her concerned ones.

She doesn't have a chance to say anything reassuring as the door swings open and Dean emerges. He hasn't changed much, the only difference being that his blonde hair and stubble that fills his face are losing their youthful hue as he ages. He's still as muscular and stalky as the day I last saw him and I notice he wears hardly any wrinkles as his hazel eyes flicker between Emory and I.

"There's my girls." He says, a big smile appearing on his face.

He instantly reaches out, pulling us both in for a tight hug. The hug feels so warm and inviting that it almost brings me to tears. My heart feels so full in this moment that I never want him to let go.

He parts, his hazel eyes pricking with tears as they look into my tearful eyes.

"Don't cry, baby girl, " He says, wiping the tears from my eyes, "you're home." He continues as he wraps his arm around my shoulder and walks me into the house.

I walk into the house, instantly taking in the warm cinnamon and apple smell that's been there for years. The house hasn't changed one bit with my photos still littering the walls.

"Lena, look what the cat dragged in!" Dean yells from behind me.

"Can't be anything worst than your ugly mug." Lena jokes as she appears from the kitchen.

Lena's brown eyes widen in surprise as she takes me in. Her dark and coily hair pinned back, better revealing her darker complexion and completely ageless skin. She hasn't aged since the day I met her 5 years ago.

Her lip quivers as she makes her way towards me in a fast pace, instantly taking me into her loving arms.

The two of us instantly break down to tears in each other's arms from the familiarity and love shared between us. She's been the only mom I've known for years and her love is the closest thing that I can classify as 'motherly love'. It's unconditional and unwavering, even after all this time.

"Welcome home, my little love." Lena says, cupping my cheeks as she parts from me.

"Okay, enough tears." Dean says, wiping away the tears rolling down his cheeks, "I believe we have some catching up to do with our daughter." He adds, his strong hands griping my shoulders as we make our way to the dinning room table.

I spend all day explaining the last year to them. I apologize to them about ignoring them, instantly explaining that it felt too hard to talk to them given the circumstances, which they instantly accept. They share excitement as I tell them about my decision to go to college and they effortlessly fall in love with Savanah as I describe her.

I eventually share Cami with them, professing my love for her and how she holds my heart. I didn't know how they'd react to me being in love with someone that wasn't their daughter, but they can't seem to wipe the smiles from their faces as I describe her.

Ethereal {WLW}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें