Chapter Forty-One: Unwelcoming Surprise

Cami's POV:

It's been a few days since Rhea and I came back from vacation and the trip was much needed. I loved the alone time together as well as the physical intimacy, that poor strap being far too used for its short time in our care, and Rhea's back being completely torn up, along with my hips and cunt that are still sore days after coming home.

Needless to say, the sex was amazing. I didn't even think it could get better and Rhea continues to surprise me.

It was my first day back at work and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. All I could think about is going home to my girl, the girl I love.

I'm still wrapping my head around our confessions, despite it being nearly a week ago. I've loved hearing those three words come out of her mouth that day and everyday since. They're words I could never get sick of hearing her mutter.

My heart swells at the thought of it. The intimacy, the look in her eyes when she said it as well as the surprise in hers when I said it. I couldn't keep it to myself anymore, she needed to know and I'm glad she feels the same way.

I smile like a lovesick fool as I open the door to the office. I feel like I'm on cloud nine and nothing could ruin my mood... that is until I see Ethan standing outside my office with a bouquet of flowers.

"What are you doing here, Ethan?" I ask sternly as I walk past him to unlock my door.

"I'm here to visit my wife, where were you this week?" He asks, entering my office behind me.

I eye him curiously as I throw my keys onto my desk. Does he not remember the events that unfolded the last time I saw him? He has some nerve to show up here unannounced.

"I was in Connecticut." I state.

"You haven't gone to Connecticut in years." He says, putting his flowers in my vase and throwing away Rhea's.

"Hey! You can't just throw those!" I say defensively as I fish them out of the garbage.

"They're practically dead, Cami." He says, looking at me like I've lost it.

"No, they can be dried out." I state, holding them close to my chest.

He shakes his head, his demeanor off putting and cold. I don't know what he's doing here. We haven't talked since the incident, but I'm glad we're interacting here of all places. A place where there are many eyes and he can't do anything rash.

"Why were you in Connecticut?" He asks as his hands grip the leather chair in front of my desk tightly.

"The girls surprised me with a trip for my birthday, a birthday that you didn't even do anything for. I didn't even get a text from you." I say, my eyes not meeting his as I place Rhea's flowers on my desk.

He scoffs, "Why would I text you when you were whoring around with Rhea."

My eyes go wide as I meet his cold grey ones.

"What are you talking about, Ethan?" I ask, trying to remain calm.

He laughs, "Cami, you don't have to lie to me anymore. A little birdie exposed your secret."

I feel my heart drop to my stomach. Who would have told him?

"Do you have any idea what this town would do with that information? They'd eat you alive, Cami." He lectures.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I lie.

"Don't fucking lie to me!" He yells, slamming his hands against the desk.

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to calm myself down from his outburst. He's just trying to scare me. He can't hurt me with people in the office.

I take a deep breath, mustering up any ounce of courage I have before saying, "I want a divorce."

He shakes his head and laughs, "you want a divorce? I'll drag you through the fucking mud. You won't ever see the boys and I'll leave you with nothing."

I stand my ground, keeping my shoulders and my head high, "You won't win custody of them."

"Oh, yeah? What makes you so sure?" He asks.

"I have evidence of physical abuse. The judge would never rule the kids in your favor with that type of evidence." I explain.

"An impartial judge, maybe? But you don't think there's a single judge around here that I can't pay off? This town runs because of me and my co-workers. You really want that battle? For what? Some 22 year old that isn't going to give a shit about you 5 years from now?" He asks.

My heart aches at his statement. He's just trying to hurt me and feed off of my insecurities. He'll say anything to scare me.

"That's not true. You know nothing about what her and I have." I say.

"I don't, but let's be real Cami... you're 36, you're going to age much faster than her. She's going to become disgusted with you and want something young and new to play with." He states.

My stomach drops as my insecurities creep in. What is she going to do when I get to a point that I'm no longer desirable?

I start to feel sick as my heart races and my mind plays tricks on me. My looks won't last forever and I know that, but I try to remind myself that she looks deeper than surface level. My head and heart are a battleground right now and I fear that logic is losing.

"That's not true." I say with uncertainty.

"It is and you know it. She doesn't even have a job that can properly support the two of you, let alone the kids." He explains.

"Money doesn't matter, she can always find work." I defend.

"Cami, I know your biggest insecurity is financials. You don't want the kids growing up the same way you did, there's no way money doesn't mean something to you. I keep you financially secure. You need me." He says with his words like venom, slowly poisoning my mind.

"Cami, really think about this. You really think she's going to give up the best part of her younger years for you? She'll be miserable. Think of us and how we thought we were happy at that time and where we are now." He states.

I think back on a younger me, a version of myself that was so sure Ethan was the one. I was the same age as her and had no clue the amount of shit ahead of me. I was young and naive. I didn't have a clue what love is. What if she doesn't either? What if what she thinks she's in love, when really the feeling she has for me is infatuation?

I feel myself start to feel weak as more thoughts enter my head. What if one day she changes her mind? What if I'm not enough? What if she wants to start a family of her own, not dealing with the burden of being with someone who already has kids?

My mind goes crazy, hurting my own heart the more I think. I watch as Ethan's straightens out his posture and walks over to me and I feel bile travel up my throat as I try to calm myself down.

Ethan extends his arms, wrapping me into a hug as my body goes stiff. I don't find comfort in his embrace, all I feel is anxious.

"If and when she does decide to leave, do her a favor and let her go." He whispers in my ear, tucking a stand of hair behind my ear before kissing my cheek.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek as he lets go of me and heads for the door.

"You're saving yourself from a lot of hurt by letting her go. Trust me, this is what's best for you." He says as he walks out the door.

My legs give out as I collapse in my chair and sob. I can't even describe the amount of hurt I'm putting myself through. The torture my mind is enduring is unbearable. It can't differentiate real from fake and it's hurting me in the process.

I don't want to lose her, I love her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh oh...