Chapter Nine: Wet Shirts & Even Wetter Eyes

Rhea's POV:

It's been two days since Ethan came home.

Graham and I are currently running some drills. He's gotten really good at his control over the ball and even was able to steal the ball away from me once. Granted, I was distracted looking Cami when he stole the ball, but he still got it.

Speaking of Cami, she's been giving me the silent treatment. I don't know what I did, but she kind of acts as if I don't exist. It's either the making out with Sienna or the fact that Ethan is home now that is making her act this way, but I don't know why she'd be bothered by me making out with another person.

I try not to rack my brain too much thinking about it, but I can't help it. It stresses me out, plus the fact that I haven't gotten a call from the school about being the assistant coach has also got me feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I kick the ball over to Graham and he stops it with his foot, but before he can pass it back, I see the sliding glass door open. Ethan emerges from the house and he's on a call. He seems very upset with whoever he's on the phone with, he's so upset that he ends up throwing his phone.

"Fuck!" I hear him yell before going back into the house.

"He gets like this sometimes." Graham explains nonchalantly.

His comfortability with the outburst concerns me. This clearly is a very normal reaction for Ethan to display and it leaves questions lingering in my head. Questions that I'm unsure I want the answers to.

"He doesn't.... He doesn't hit you guys, right?" I ask.

"No, nothing like that. He just has a temper and yells a lot. People think he's perfect, but it's because he acts differently in public than how he does at home." Graham explains.

I understand exactly what he means. My dad was the same way, in fact I see a lot of myself in Graham. I've grown to care about this kid quite a lot in the little bit of time I've had with him. I just want to the person I needed growing up for him.

I hum in response and continue to practice with Graham until my phone starts to trill. I look over to Graham as he wears an excited look on his face. He's been looking forward to the school calling me just as much as I have. 

I pick up and bring the phone to my ear.

"Is this Rhea?" I hear a feminine voice ask on the phone.

"This is." I confirm. 

"Hey, it's Alex and I've got good news. I talked to the school and they'd love to have you. They just need you to fill out some papers and maybe we can see you at the next practice?" She explains.

"Oh my god! Sweet! Yeah, I'd love to be there. I'll stop by the school as soon as possible." I say, turning to give Graham a thumbs up.

He jumps in place and cheers as I continue the phone call.

"I knew you'd get it!" He says as he gives me a big hug.

It's the first hug he's ever given me and part of me feels complete holding him in my arms. I'm no parent, but it's what I imagine most parents feel when they hug their kids.

"Hey, kiddo! Want to kick the ball around?" I hear Ethan ask from behind me.

I let go of Graham and turn to face Ethan. Part of me is surprised he's able to act like nothing happened earlier, but another part of me knows something deeper is probably wrong with this guy. 

"Um, sure." Graham says.

I leave them to it and head back to the house. I enter the house and Cami is washing dishes, like always. She's silent, like she has been for the past two days. It almost drives me nuts how quiet she's been.