Chapter Eighteen: Cheater

Cami's POV:

"Savannah, make sure to tell her that it's a formal event and it's black themed, so anything she's planning on wearing has to be primarily black." I explain.

"Why can't you tell her?" Savannah asks.

"You're her best friend. Why can't you?" I question.

"Fine. Whatever." She says as she makes her way out of my room.

It's been a few days since Rhea and I kissed. I don't know what I was thinking but now it's all that I think about. She has completely consumed all my thoughts, no matter how hard I try to push them away.

I've been ignoring her - acknowledging her makes the realization of what I did more real. I can't believe as a married woman, I let things get as far as it did. Also, what about the girl she has her eyes on? Did she just completely throw that out the window?

It's also been hard to comprehend because Ethan came home yesterday. He kept his word and showed up for the event this weekend, but it's been severely tense between the two of us, so tense that I ended up sleeping on the couch last night.

"Can you help me with this?" Ethan asks in a frustrated tone.

I turn around to see him struggling to tie his tie. I walk over to him very carefully, trying to keep the bomb from going off. We really haven't had time to discuss where we are with each other. I'm still mad about the cheating, but I don't want drama right now. Not with a big event tonight and I don't want to deprive the boys of time with their father.

I stand in front of him and slowly make my hands up to his neck. I grab the tie, straightening it out and making the lengths correct before properly tying it. I slowly push the knot up to his neck and for a brief second think about strangling him.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks sternly.

"I'm thinking about how satisfying it would be to choke you out with your own tie." I admit as I straighten out his collar.

He laughs, "you don't have the guts."

He's right... I don't. I think the reason why he does the things he does is because he knows he'll get away with it. I have no back bone with him and because of this, he's been able to do a lot of things and I've accepted a lot of bad behaviors. He knows I don't want the boys to grow up without a father figure because I didn't have one and he often uses it against me.

"Best behaviors tonight. Act like you love me." He says, looking at himself in the mirror behind me.

"I've acted this long... tonight shouldn't be any different." I say as I lay my hands on his chest.

"Good, then we should have no problems." He says as he moves me out of the way to get a better look at himself.

"So conceited." I say under my breath.

"You would be too if you looked like me." He says with a laugh as he exits the bedroom.

Tonight is going to be a long night.

***

Ethan and I drive separately from Rhea and Savannah. Rhea and Savannah agreed to help the boys get ready, so Ethan could come socialize with his friends and co-workers.

We enter and I instantly see a tiny body make their way through the crowd. I can tell, just by the height who it is.

"Thank god you're here." Naomi says as she hugs me tightly.

"The bitch brigade too much for you to handle by yourself?" I ask.

"You have no idea." She says, finally letting me go.