Chapter Thirty: How To Get The Girl

Rhea's POV: 🔞NSFW Warning🔞

"Come on short stuff!" I yell out as I round the bend.

"I have little legs compared to you! Give me a minute!" Cami yells back as she stops her running and bends over to catch her breath.

"Come on baby, this is light work." I say as I walk over to her and hand her the water bottle.

She looks up and glares as me as she snatches the water bottle from my hands.

"Want to take a break on the dock?" I ask.

She nods her head as she stands up and shoves the water bottle into my chest.

"Oomph." I huff as I follow her.

Lately, this has become our thing. We go on our morning run until we reach the dock and then we'll stop and rest for a bit. It gives us time to reconnect, without being around the rest of the family and gets us away from any potential onlookers.

"You're a genetic freak." She says as she sits down at the edge of the dock.

I laugh, "how's that?" I ask as I sit next to her.

"You can run forever without getting tired." She says as she takes the water bottle from me again.

"I used to run a lot... it was kind of my family's thing before things went to shit." I say.

She looks at me softly as she puts the water bottle down, "Do you find yourself running as a way to be close to them?"

"Slightly? But I'd like to think it was something I could reclaim for myself, like I used to run for them and now I run for me." I say as I look out at the water.

I feel her hand reach out as she intertwines our fingers and leans her head on my shoulder.

It's near perfection every time we are here. It's like our own oasis away from all the shit going on in our lives. I could stay here forever, looking at her as the sun warms her skin and admiring how the water reflects in her blue-green eyes. I feel my heart skip a beat just looking at her.

I've been unsure of a lot of things in my life. I've never known if I was walking down the right path or making the right decisions, but looking at her... I know what I'm feeling. I know I'm in love. It sounds so corny, but my heart feels it when I'm around her.

She makes me feel safe, safe enough to open up in ways I've never opened up before and she gives me a sense of security to do so. I'm vulnerable with her and she trusts me enough to be vulnerable with me.

There's something sacred about the vulnerability and support we give each other, something I've never found or felt with another person. She has to be my one. Everything feels right when I'm around her, like every star aligned and put this perfectly imperfect person on my path to show me a love I've never encountered before and that's all I want to give her in return.

I want to love her in ways that make her know how valued she is. I want to give her a love that is unyielding and unconditional. I want to show her the love she deserves.

"Speaking of family... you never really went into detail over stuff with your mom the other day." I say.

She sighs, "where do I even begin with her?"

"I just want to preface by saying that my mom never wanted kids, but always wanted a lifelong traveling partner... so after failed relationship after failed relationship, she got pregnant with me at 32 and decided I might be the lifelong traveling partner she always needed." She explains.