Chapter Two: Let The Batter Hit The Floor

Rhea's POV:

"I don't think your mother likes me very much." I state as I take my shirt off to change into a tank top to sleep in.

"She doesn't like anyone, she doesn't even like her own daughter." Savannah says as she throws me a pair of sweatpants from my suitcase.

I slide on my sweatpants and join Savannah on the bed in my room, or rather the guest room. She's laying on her back, staring at the ceiling as I am sitting at the end of the bed. She almost looks like she's being consumed by a cloud, the way she looks laying on the white comforter.

"So, how'd the conversation with your grandma go?" I ask.

"She was going to leave. They always do this... They can't stand each other." She states, sounding defeated.

"Did your grandma really come all this way because she wanted to, or did you set this up?" I ask.

Savannah's head pops up off the pillow, looking at me with a guilty expression.

"Come lay by me." she insists.

I climb my way to the top of the bed and lay down on my side. Savannah turns to her side, so we're face to face and I brush the stray hairs away from her face while she collects her thoughts.

"Maybe I set it up... but I really wanted you to meet my grandma... and part of me wanted to piss my mom off, but part of me also just wants them to get along. My mom is so wound tight and sometimes I wish some of my grandma's carefree spirit would rub off on her." She explains.

"Has your mom always been this way?" I ask.

"My grandma jokes that my mom came out of the womb barking orders at people. So yeah, she's always been this way." Savannah half-heartily jokes.

I hum in response.

There's a comfortable silence that fills the room. That's something I love about being friends with Savannah, it's never awkward. We both have a mutual understanding of each other, and can understand each other without having to say a word.

"Well, I better let you get to sleep. All that head banging in the car has got to have you exhausted by now." Savannah jokes.

I laugh and wish her goodnight as she exits the bedroom. It has been a super eventful first day, and not exactly what I was expecting to be honest. I still wonder if there's more to Cami than meets the eye. How can Savannah and Glenda be so much alike, but Cami so different? I just don't understand.

***

I feel the rays of the morning sun warm my body. I blink a few times, my eyes having a hard time adjusting to the brightness. White may make a room look more spacious, but it also hurts your eyes when mixed with the morning sun.

I slowly get up, looking at the clock to see it's only 7 o'clock in the morning. I quietly exit my room, walking across to see if Savannah is up yet, but she isn't. I walk downstairs, unsure what to do with my morning when I'm greeted by Graham and Beck. Graham is sitting on the giant L-shaped couch, playing on his tablet, while Beck looks like he's coloring on a notepad on the floor.

"Good morning." both boys say at the same time.

"Morning" I reply back, still feeling groggy from just waking up.

I look around and see no sign of Cami. Does anyone know that the boys are up? Have they eaten?

"Where's your mom?" I ask

"She had to run to town. I think it was something work related." Graham says, not looking up from his tablet.

"Have you guys eaten yet?" I ask.