Chapter Twenty-One: The One

Rhea's POV: 🔞NSFW Warning🔞

"Come on, let's go!" I yell to Graham.

Graham and I just wrapped up with soccer practice and he's going to a friends house after so we have minimal time for him to fuck around. It also doesn't help that Savannah had to work tonight, so Cami is here to get us, and like most women... she doesn't like to wait.

"I heard you the first time! I'm coming!" He yells as he departs from his team mates.

I'm kind of happy we're on a time crunch because this also means that I can't stay around and talk with Alex. She's really pushing the idea of us hanging out but the truth is, I'm just not feeling it.

It's not that she's a bad person, I just have a hard time connecting with her. Something feels off when I'm with her and I think it's just best if we operate as co-workers, rather than trying to make us friends.

Graham and I quickly get to the car. I unload the duffle bags and put them in the trunk before making my way to the passenger seat. I get in, noticing a small smile of Cami's face, but I can't see her eyes because of her shades. It's only been about two days, but we still haven't talked about her drunken fiasco.

I'm starting to think she just doesn't remember.

"Hi, Rhea." Beck says from the back seat.

"Hey buddy, you excited for you sleep over?" I ask.

Beck and Graham are both heading over to Cami's friend, Naomi's. Naomi has two boys about Grahams age, one of which is in my soccer practice, but couldn't make it today because he had chores and they have a little girl around Beck's age.

"Yeah! I get to see Mariana!" He says excitedly.

"Beck has a little crush." Graham says in a teasing voice.

"Zip it, zipperhead. You've got a crush on a girl 6 years older than you. At least Beck's crush is in his age range." I say.

I look over to Cami as she smiles at my comment. I could have made a comment about his crush having a crush on me, but I didn't want to completely destroy the kid.

"Fuck off." Graham says under his breath.

"Language." Cami and I both say at the same time.

We both look at each other and instantly laugh. It's rare finding moments like these with her; moments when you hear her authentic laugh and she lets down her walls a little. Moments when she's not so abrasive and allows herself to enjoy the moment.

There's been more of these lately, but I never would have thought I'd be able to have these moments with her when I first moved in.

"You two are weird." Graham says as we pull into Naomi's driveway.

"You're weird." I say as I start to unbuckle myself.

"What are you doing?" Cami asks.

"I'm going to take Beck out of his car seat and carry his bag in so you don't have to. Unless... you want to do it?" I ask.

She looks stunned at first, like no one has ever offered to help her with drop off, though that's probably not far from the truth considering Ethan is the father of her children.

"No... no, that's fine." She says.

I get out of the car and unbuckle Beck. Graham's already in the house by the time I get Beck out of the car and grab his overnight bag. I walk up to the house and Naomi is already in the door frame.

"Well, this is new. Hi, Rhea. How are you today?" She asks with a kind smile.

"I'm great. Practice went well, missed seeing Mateo out on the field." I say as I place Beck down.