Chapter Fourty-Six: No Vacancy

Rhea's POV:

I take a deep breath as I walk up the cobblestone driveway to a house I never thought I'd see again.

My feet keep moving, not allowing me to turn back as I knock on the door. My heart pounds in my chest as the anxiety creeps in. What am I going to say if she opens the door? What if he opens the door?

I feel a sense of dread kick in at the thought, but I keep my feet planted where they are. There's a few moments silence as I exhale the breath I was holding, feeling a little defeated by getting no response, but also relieved.

I wasn't ready to face them today anyways, I just have no clue where else to go.

I turn around and make my way back down the driveway when I hear the door creak open.

"Rhea?" I hear her call out.

I feel my heart stop in my chest as I turn around, seeing those steel blue eyes I haven't seen in years. She looks a little older, with a few more wrinkles than before and a lot more grey in her wavy brown hair, but she still looks young for her age. She always has.

"Hey, mom." I say.

Her blue eyes study me. It's almost like she thinks her mind is playing a trick with her, like she can't actually comprehend that her daughter is standing in front of her.

"What- what are you doing here?" She asks, a little taken aback by my arrival.

I start to feel myself panic at her question. What am I doing here? I didn't even have anything planned as to what I'd say if she opened the door.

"I- I was just leaving." I state, picking up my pace down the driveway.

"Wait!" She calls out.

I instantly stop in my tracks as I close my eyes tightly. There's an endless amount of things she could say right now, some of them I'm not ready to hear. I take a deep intake of air as I prepare for the worst, hoping I can take it.

"Come inside." She says hesitantly.

I turn around to face her as my eyes widen. I didn't expect this for some reason. I figured I'd get lectured or told I was an abomination. I didn't expect to be invited inside.

I take one step forward, wanting to reconnect, until I remember my dad and I's final moments. It's enough to stop me in my tracks and make me rethink the situation all together. I'm not ready to see him.

"I can't." I say, keeping my feet planted where they are.

"He's not home. Please- please come in." She pleads as she opens the door more.

I observe her as tears form in her eyes. I don't think much as my feet begin to move, having a mind of their own. What am I even doing?

I walk up the driveway and towards the door. My heart pounds in my chest the closer I get to her, eventually stopping as I reach the door. My mom extends her arms and holds me in a tight hug. I find myself not knowing what to do in her arms. Do I hug her back? Do I push her away?

I end up just standing there, stiff as a board as she holds me. She still wears her perfume that has hints of lavender, even after all these years. It's a familiarity that makes me feel slightly sick.

She lets go of me, sensing my uncomfortability, "you've changed."

I suck in a breath as I prepare for her to criticize me. I used to wear very basic clothes, mostly athletics or sometimes even dressed girly and had my hair long.

I clearly don't sport that style anymore.

"You look more comfortable." She says with a soft smile as she guides me into the house.