Chapter Sixteen: Score!

Cami's POV: ⚠️ Mentions of Homophobia⚠️

I stuff a few snacks into Grahams bag as I hear Savannah's loud stomps come from the stairs. She enters the kitchen and she's dressed up. She's wearing a white blouse with some dress pants, I can't remember the last time I've actually seen this girl dress up for anything. Is she sick?

"Whoa, what happened to my daughter and what have you done with her?" I ask with a laugh.

"She's got a job interview." Savannah says in a monotone voice.

"Wait. What? Did I hear you correctly? You haven't worked since you were 14." I say in disbelief.

"It's at that club we all went to. AJ convinced me to apply and I unfortunately got it. I just have to do this job interview, get my liquor license, and I'll be a part of the working class." She says with dread.

"No one is forcing you to do this." I reiterate.

"No, but Rhea would be disappointed in me for not trying. I hate seeing her face when she's disappointed. She looks like a puppy that got kicked, it's so ugly." Savannah says.

I smile to myself. Maybe Rhea is a good influence on her.

"So, I take this as you're not coming to the soccer game?" I ask.

"No, I wish I could. I wished Graham good luck and told him to tell Rhea not to suck ass." She says with a laugh.

"That's not very nice." I say with a soft smile.

"I'm not a nice person." Savannah says with a shrug.

"That's not true and you know it, no matter how hard you try to pretend." I say.

I see Savannah trying to analyze me. She's probably unsure what got into me and why I, of all people, am calling her a nice person. I want her to see I'm capable of change so we can eventually have an open conversation about our relationship.

"Well, I got to go." She says as she grabs her purse.

"Wait, good luck! I know you'll do great. You're capable of amazing things." I say as I give her a big hug.

She tenses at the physical touch, but eventually melts into the hug. I even feel her reach one hand back to hug me back.

***

The other teams ahead, 2-0. It's not surprising that we're losing, but we've at least done a better job at controlling the ball. It also helps that our team has a new goalie, which has prevented the opposing team getting as many points. Usually, we'd be behind by much more at this rate.

The other moms and I sit on the bleachers, catching up on life. They always keep me up to date on the recent gossip and the happenings in town. It's entertaining, especially when you're not the subject of their talk.

"So, what do we think of the new soccer coach?" Naomi asks.

Naomi works with me and so do our husbands, so we're pretty close. I'd probably classify her as the closest thing I've ever had to a best friend. She's a 4'11 hispanic fireball. She'll defend her friends with her last breath and her humor has always kept me entertained.

"I heard she's a lesbian." Teryan says.

Teryan is a typical dumb blonde. She's got two brain cells and they never fire at the same time, hell just getting one to fire up is hard enough for her. She's also got more plastic in her than the oceans, but when you have a plastic surgeon for a husband - you can afford to be a white Kardashian.

"Great, just what we need. I hope she doesn't sexualize my little girl." Jessica says.

I feel my stomach drop. How can someone assume such a thing?