54

throughout her performance, mirae felt herself trying even harder than she ever had

throughout her performance, mirae felt herself trying even harder than she ever had. she really put her all into it, dancing and singing like the rent was due tonight.

even despite performing the best she ever had, her mind was distracted. why was he here? how dare he show up after so long. he never even texted? called? congratulated? mirae was going through a whirlwind of emotions tonight, it upset her that she let her mood sway so easily.

following the performance, she kept glancing at his seat. her members noticed something was up but didn't want to bother her with it while she still looked like she was fuming.

now offstage, mirae approached her manager. "do you see that guy right there," she spoke discreetly, not wanting the rest of the group nor staff to hear anything. "please bring him backstage and into a vacant room. i need to have an important discussion with him."

before the manager could even protest, mirae was off. he sighed, making his way downstage to collect the guy mirae had asked for.

"he's in here." she was guided towards the dressing rooms, after having grabbed a quick bite to eat to replenish the energy she'd utilized during their performance. however, mirae was far from tired. she wasn't even sure of what to say when she saw him but that didn't stop her from charging into the room.

the door clicked, carefully turning the knob as mirae hopped inside. closing the door behind her. hyunmin sat on the couch, lifting his head to meet her gaze. her breath hitched. he looked just as good as he did the day he left her, but more mature.

"mir-" he tried to stand up and speak but she cut him off. running towards him and tackling him into a tight embrace. he was startled by how she'd ended up on his lap, straddling him after they'd fallen back onto the couch. her arms wrapped tightly around his torso, head shoved into the crook of his neck.

"shh, i'm still mad at you. just let me do this." miraes voice croaked. a soft smile etched its way onto his face, wrapping his arms around her to return the embrace tightly.

she wasn't sure how much time she had to spare in order to actually speak with him. she pulled away, but didn't leave his embrace. he scanned her features, noticing how her eyes were glossy and her bottom lip trembled.

"why'd you just vanish off the face of the earth and then suddenly show up when i'm finally on stage." voice hoarse, hyunmin couldn't respond with anything besides "i'm sorry", tightening his hold on her.

"i know it's overdo, but congratulations on your debut." his voice was soft, deeper than mirae recalled. "thank you..." she spoke lowly, scared of her voice failing her if she tried to speak up.

realizing the state they were in, she jumped off of him. muttering small apologies as her face changed colour to a deep shade of red.

"how have you been rae?" a simple question really, but why did it seem so hard to answer. hearing it from anyone else and she would've responded quickly, but hearing it from him made her feel vulnerable for some reason.