Chapter 196

Levi's POV:

I was being taken to a nearby rehabilitation facility. Deep down, I think we all know how I'm feeling. This wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to be dead. I was supposed to leave this world without another ounce of bullshit to think about. Now I'm here with an alive and conscious mind on my way to a place that's only going to try and toy with my brain. Maybe it'll work out. Even though that's what we all hope for, that's not necessarily what the outcome will be. Not only do I carry the trauma of a 16 year old high school student but also a 40 year old captain. Good luck with me, doctors. You're going to really need it.

With the process of checking in, a tour, and introductions, getting my vitals, we finally made it to my room.

"And this is where you'll be for the time being, Levi." The woman spoke but I just toned her out feeling as though I no longer needed her assistance. I just nodded as she closed the door.

This is going to be hell.

Eren's POV:

"So you're on a break?" Jean asked as he stood next to my locker. "Not an actual break up?"

"Right."

"Well, that's good at least. Right?"

"I mean, I guess." I closed my locker and started to walk fast. He was quick to catch up. "He thinks he holds me back. He basically wants me to live life without him; as if that wasn't what I was already doing for 6 months."

"I'm sure he has good intentions, Eren."

"Oh really?" I stopped in the middle of the busy hallway and faced Jean. "Good intentions? From the guy that tried to kill himself and was in a coma for 6 months? Along with developing brain damage from this? And I'm supposed to believe he has good intentions?"

"Fair point." He mumbled and rolled his eyes. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

"I really don't have a choice here."

Levi's POV:

Just when I thought my soul had already completely evaporated, I felt it suck itself out just a little more in this very moment. Reading has always been something that's calmed me for as long as I could remember. It's my safe haven. Well that's officially gone due to the fact that words aren't words anymore; they're just jumbled up letters. I can't read.

"No, no, no," I frantically repeated over and over, flipping through pages of the book they had given to me. "This can't be happening." I jumped off the bed and started pacing with the book in one hand and my fingers tugging at my hair in another. "You've got to be kidding me." I didn't realize how weak my body was at that point until I couldn't support myself anymore. I fell to my knees due to the fact that I haven't exactly been mobile in 6 months. I started physical therapy tomorrow. The doctors were shocked that I could even walk to begin with. Mikasa told me she believes it has to do with my blood; that that's the reason why certain things happened and didn't happen. But I'd much rather have the inability to walk, it's not like I haven't experienced it before.

I rushed to my bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror for the first time. My plan was to splash water in the face but I was too distracted by the self inflicted scars on my body as well as bruises from where needles once were. Then I got a good look at my face. My cheeks were caved in, my lips were chapped. But that's when I had focused on my right eye. The eye that I had gone blind in all those years ago due to the thunder spear explosion and its aftermath. I wasn't completely blind in my right eye as of now but there's definitely a difference. I went back and grabbed the book but this time covering my eye.

Nothing changed...