Chapter 176

Eren's POV:

They just needed to evaluate us. Make sure we were okay. I lied straight through my teeth. I didn't want any attention on me, just Levi. We've been sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours now. The crying between the three of us never stopped for the duration of that time either.

"Ackerman," a doctor called and we all immediately stood up.

"Stay here," Mikasa said to me and Hange as she got up and walked over alone. She nodded a few times during their conversation but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I hated the suspense of it. She came back on the verge of tears. She's not full on crying so that could possibly be a good thing? I'm not really sure. "He'll live." But of course, that started my emotions to run wild once again. He's going to be okay. "But...he's in a coma."

"Fuck." I whispered as Hange gasped.

"They're not sure how long it'll last. He's also on life support."

"So he's barely alive is what you're saying?" Hange said.

"Technically yes, but there's a better chance he'll live now that he's in the hospital."

"I wanna see him." I said.

"He said he'll call us in soon."

A coma? How long do those usually last? 2 weeks?

I took out my phone and immediately looked it up.

Typically, a coma does not last more than a few days or couple of weeks. In some rare cases, a person might stay in a coma for several weeks, months or even years. Depending on what caused the person to go into a coma, some patients are able to return to their normal lives after leaving the hospital.

Well that's relieving but there's still the chance it could be...years. I don't care, I'll wait. I've waited before, I'll wait again.

"Ms. Ackerman." All of our heads shot up towards the voice that was calling Mikasa. She cleared her throat and stood up and walked with the man. I felt like I cried out all my tears. It was also 1am at this point.

"You ever feel like if you did one thing differently in the past, the entire timeline would be different?" Hange asked, cleaning her glasses with her shirt.

"Well, obviously. I'm the worst person on the planet, if I did many things differently, the timeline would be completely different."

"I mean now, Eren. Will you stop beating yourself up over something that doesn't even matter anymore? It's annoying. Do you want sympathy? Do you want someone to feel bad for you?" I was shocked at her outburst but only because it was coming from her. "Eren, you know damn well you're one of the most amazing people anyone has ever met. But it's obvious that you've spent a lot of time trying to make up for things that not even everyone remembers. I mean, I sure as hell don't. Neither does Sasha or Connie."

"Actually...Connie does now."

"Seriously? Not even me?" She groaned.

"Hange, please. I just don't-"

"It's all I've ever wanted...please. Now is the time."

"Why?"

"Because, Eren!" Some heads turned towards us. She was on the verge of tears but she tried to stay as strong as she could. "The second I came into this family, look what happened. They probably would've been so much better without me. Mom died and now we almost lost Levi. My purpose right now? Destruction. That's what I'm talking about. If I never would've let her adopt me, she would still be alive and Levi would've never been in this position."

"But Hange, none of it was your fault. Not even in the slightest."

"Like I said, one small difference in the timeline."

"So what does this have to do with your memory?"

She took her glasses off to rub her eyes before putting them back on. "I want to feel purpose. I want to be able to feel and remember that I actually didn't destroy all these lives. I want to remember that I'm a good person rather than someone just telling me."

Rejecting Hange's request would be evil at this point. So I picked the scab that was formed off the cut I made for Connie. The blood immediately started to come through the wound in small drops. I put pressure on it, pushing the blood out even more. I held my hand up to her face and I nodded. Luckily no one was looking as she was sucking at my palm like a vampire in the middle of a hospital waiting room. The second she put my hand down, Mikasa and the doctor came back and they called her. We nodded at each other as she walked away. I hope that was enough.