Chapter 37

Levi's POV:

Gabi, Falco, and I arrived at Mikasa and Jean's house. It was a nice place. Definitely what you'd expect. The walls were painted blue, white furniture. It felt welcoming. Time has really changed. Engineering and mechanics have evolved. Cars and planes are used more than horses. Tall buildings were more common than any place I had grown up with. Eren would've liked this.

"Hey, look who's here!" Connie greeted with a large smile and a bottle of alcohol in his hands. Gabi and Falco said their hello's and I gave my simple nod. It's really satisfying knowing how I've acted so emotionless since these brats have known me so they just know what a simple head nod means. Zero effort is needed. I'm not lazy, but it makes life easier.

"I'm with you," Annie stood next to me. Her and Armin ended up together. I still don't understand that one too much but at least they're happy. Once the power of the Titans had been wiped out, that meant no one had their shifting abilities left. Meaning Annie was no longer the Female Titan, Armin was no longer the Colossal Titan, and they didn't have to die. During these little get togethers, Annie and I do the same thing and no one questions it. We stand next to each other, stay antisocial, but we enjoy everyone's company in secrecy. Annie and I are similar in more ways than I had known. But you really get to know a person after about 100 of these dinners. We're both strong headed introverts who have a lot of bottled up emotions. She's told me that being with Armin has helped her. I guess all I have now is Eren's ghost, or whatever the fuck that was earlier.

"Any reason she called this one? It's Monday. I thought they were every other Friday at 5pm?" I asked. She shrugged. But then she wheeled me over to the dinner table fit for the 8 guests. Mikasa, Jean, Armin, Annie, Connie, Falco, Gabi, and myself. Who would've thought the man in his 40's would stick around with a bunch of brats? Then again, I have no choice since I live with the young couple. I didn't ask for their assistance, I was fully prepared to live on my own. But with enough nagging and persuading, I gave in. Gabi telling me that Falco likes to keep everything spotless was enough for me. Luckily, Falco does meet the standard.

Jean and Armin set the food Annie helped Mikasa prepare and I saw Connie smile with sad eyes. I guarantee you the sight of potatoes wouldn't be a sensitive topic in anyone's household except for this one. We'll all always hold Sasha in our hearts but mostly Connie. He's a good kid. Stupid. But good.

As we were eating, Jean stood up. "I'm sure you're wondering why we had this dinner tonight but Mikasa and I consider this to be a special occasion." Oh, it's that announcement. Everyone looks like they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. I mean they already got married a year ago, obviously we know what's next. "We're having a baby." He smiles. The room was filled with cheers. I actually let a small smile slip. Definitely a special occasion for one indeed.

Time went on and day turned into night. I went outside on the balcony and went next to the table that sits out. I didn't necessarily want to be alone, I knew someone would come out eventually.

"Hey." There she is.

"Congratulations." I was sincere but I kept looking at the road with cars driving by.

"Annie said there's something off with you tonight."

"Didn't realize it was that obvious." I was genuinely shocked.

"There's different levels to your coldness." She joked. "We've all known you long enough to know when you're in what mood. So what's wrong?"

"I don't know how to say this without sounding insane."

"Nothing will shock me."

"I saw him today." I blurted out before she could really finish her sentence. She sat down in the singular chair on the balcony next to me and seemed afraid.

"A hallucination?"

"That's what I want to believe. But I don't know how to explain how he's the one who did my hair for me today." I mumbled, realizing how absolutely crazy that sounds out loud.

"What do you mean?"

"I felt him, Mikasa." I looked over at her this time. "He touched my face, he did my hair, he kissed my head. I felt all of it."

"Do you think you're going insane?"

"If I am, so be it. You were lucky enough to have a happy life with Jean and I ended up this way. Which is absolutely no surprise to me whatsoever. But if this is what it's come to, fine. You've known that I'd do anything to see him."

Over time, the closer she got with Jean, the more I opened up about my feelings for Eren. She was shocked at first. She knew I loved him. But she didn't realize just how much pain I was feeling because of it even before he died. When I had seen him again in Liberio, seeing him look like a street rat, it didn't matter. That was still my Eren. Yeah, I kicked the shit out of him. But he deserved it. But once he told me he never wanted to see me again, and then later realizing he said that to protect me, was just a twist of a blade in my chest.

"I know." She whispered, placing a hand on her unrevealing stomach. "Hold on." She stood up and went back inside. After a couple minutes she took me back in with everyone else. Jean, Armin, and Connie were drunk and laughing. Annie and Falco were doing the dishes. And Mikasa was whispering something to Gabi before we exited the house. "I'm sure you know where we're going."

Shit.