Chapter 4

Levi's POV:

Some time had past and Hange and I had reunited after I had crippled the First Interior Squad's forces as well as Hange's news of the Coup d'état's success. Hange had suggested we search the Reiss Chapel for Historia and Eren.

I was worried about him. I was shocked. Although I kept a straight face, I felt my cheeks heat up at the thought of him. It wasn't any type of romantic feeling. But a feeling of faith.

We had stopped for a while to gather our strength. While everyone stayed together, I preferred my solitude away from them. But that was cut short of course.

"Hey Levi." Hange was surprisingly quiet but still sounded happy as ever when she spoke. "Why don't you join us?" Referring to the rest of the squad.

"Can I ask you something?" I kept my eyes on the sky. She nods. "Do you ever feel like people depend on you but don't actually care about you as a person?"

"Do you feel that way?"

"Answer the question."

"To be honest, I'm not really sure. I've never thought of something like that. Why don't you feel like people care about you?"

"I feel selfish saying this but whatever. Nifa was killed not even 5 feet away from me by the person who raised me. He was trying to kill me. I almost died. I took down several of his squad by myself. I know I can take care of myself. I don't need people fearing if I'll make it out alive or not. I always will. But it would be nice for someone to ask if I was okay just once." I sigh. "It's stupid I know. I don't even know why I'm telling you this."

"Do you ever tell anyone about these things?" She sounded worried but she had an expression of sympathy on her face.

"The one person I'd probably end up telling isn't here right now." I look down, remembering how he's been kidnapped.

"Who?"

Eren.

"Doesn't matter." I shake my head. "But they're the only person who seems to give a real shit about me."

She seemed to think I was referring to Furlan or Isabel. That would be the logical choice. But of course, it's the whiny brat. The one who has left the squad on edge and afraid. The one who can't be trusted. The one who has no self control. The one who called me heroic. The one who said they look up to me. The one who called me fearless.

I don't think that'll ever leave my head.

"Levi, listen." She put her hands on my shoulders and looked down at me. I was annoyed with how much taller everyone was compared to myself. Why me? At least I made up for it in other ways. "I care about you. You're one of my best friends. We don't talk as much as I'd like but I still consider you one only because you've always looked out for me. If you ever need to rant about anything, I'm here to listen. I know how to have a real conversation, trust me. I'm sorry I don't ask how you're feeling sometimes. I guess it's because I feel like I'm in the same boat. It's me, Hange Zoe. The one that's in your face, the crazy one. But it's also to make others happy. No one knows I'm a mess deep down. We're all with you Levi. I'm with you." She quickly pulled me in for a hug. It took me by surprise but eventually I gave in and returned the gesture.