Chapter 103

Eren's POV:

I was woken up by Levi shooting up from the bed and then shaking me.

"Did you hear that?" My answer was a loud groan as well as hiding under the sheets. The sun was out so I was glad we got a full nights rest. "Eren, get up."

"No."

"Fine," he groaned and got out of bed. I didn't like being without him so I rolled my eyes and followed him. I slipped my jeans back on since I didn't have anything else to look somewhat decent. He was already downstairs by the time I got there. I smiled once I was greeted by Kuchel making breakfast in the kitchen.

"Good morning, boys." She cracked a few eggs in a pan, "Sorry if I woke you up. I dropped a cooking sheet on the ground. I was going to make biscuits." This woman is so pure, it makes my heart melt. "How'd you both sleep?" I couldn't contain my smile as I tried to force it down. "What did you two do?"

"Levi, tell her."

"I got my memory back," he said nonchalantly.

"You did?!" She shouted and completely left the eggs unattended. "Oh my god!" She ran over to him and pulled him in for a tight hug. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. If anything, I feel a lot better."

"How so?"

"For starters, I wouldn't mind adding some color to the house. Also, I wanna start boxing." I started laughing hysterically. Of course he does. Never could stay away from a fight.

"Levi, baby, are you sure? You're very..."

"Small?" I laughed. "Kuchel, you never got to see Levi. I've never seen anything like it in my life. You gotta remember, he was in fact humanity's strongest soldier."

"Damn right I was." He was so serious, I loved it.

"Well, we have a few things to talk about. Sit." We did as Kuchel said and sat on the two stools across from her. "First thing, Annie is going to be okay." We both took a large sigh of relief. "Mikasa was up all night with Armin and got the call from Reiner. She's going into rehab, I'm not sure for how long. But she's lucky to be alive. Mr. and Mrs. Hoover are getting funeral arrangements together." She shook her head and sighed. "It's awful. Absolutely awful. No one should have to experience their own child's death."

"Is there any good news?" I asked.

"Seriously?" Levi said as if it was obvious that there was none.

"Actually," Kuchel went over to a file divider she keeps by the fridge and slid a folder towards us both. Levi snatched it and opened to what revealed to say 'Report of Adoption' at the top.

"No," Levi gasped. He looked back up at her. "Really?" The smile on his face was breathtaking. It wasn't something he did that fully often. So I took a mental picture. It was infectious as I began to smile as well. I have no idea who is getting adopted though. When we got off the stool to walk towards his mom, I slid the folder near me.

This is to certify that
Hange Zoe
has been adopted into the Ackerman family
By and on
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
from Krolva Foster Center

Signature: Kuchel Ackerman

Holy shit.

"Thank you," Levi said as Kuchel kissed his forehead.

"Go wake your new sister up," he rushed to her room. All you could hear was her screaming. I cannot imagine what he just did.

"Four eyes! You're adopted!" I heard him yell.

Armin and Mikasa sluggishly came downstairs as Kuchel began to put breakfast across the kitchen counter. Both of their eyes were bloodshot with dark circles underneath. I can't imagine they got much sleep. Hange and Levi came out of her new room and we all sat around. It was quiet once Mikasa and Armin sat down. Kuchel gave all of us plates and we began to help ourselves. She made eggs, bacon, biscuits, pancakes, and waffles. She had apple juice and orange juice out for anyone who wanted some. But still, no one dared to speak. It was a reminder of last night's events. It's hard when something so tragic happens but then something amazing the next. Balancing the two was a challenge for me. Levi, on the other hand, was a natural. He could keep the same exact expression regardless of how he was feeling.

"Anything new?" Kuchel finally asked Mikasa, placing Levi's black tea next to him.

"Jean is getting checked into a mental hospital," she said quietly, picking at the bacon on her plate. Armin couldn't eat either.

"What about Reiner?"

"Won't tell me. Says he's fine but I don't believe it."

I feel for Reiner the most in this situation. He always struggled with depression. But he always tried to stay strong for everyone else. This new life has treated him much better. The identity crisis was the root of his madness but clearly he didn't have to worry about protecting two sides at once.

"Anything from Mr. Leonhart?"

"Traumatized." She stabbed her eggs. Armin dropped his fork and ran to the bathroom. The sound of regurgitating was gut wrenching. I don't expect him to forgive me for a long time. It definitely wasn't an appropriate time to tell Mikasa and Armin the good news Levi, Hange, and I have. So we just continued to eat. Kuchel walked over to Mikasa and hugged her from behind.

"You'll be okay, sweetheart."

This is going to be really hard for everyone.