Chapter 31

Levi's POV:

We didn't have much time. The Rumbling was closer than ever and we needed to leave immediately. We gathered our things onto the flying boat and tried to come up with a plan. Half of us went outside to see the row of Colossal Titans coming our way. Terror sprung in each of our hearts as we had realized we really had no time left at all.

"We need to think of something right now." I said.

"We're out of options." Mikasa replied.

"No," Reiner added, "I will buy us time." I'm sure this was his heroic way of trying to save everyone. But really it's a suicide attempt. He's dumb if he thinks any of us would let that happen.

"Stop!" Hange shouted. "You can't use your Titan powers. Not now. I'll do this." My blood went cold and my heart started pumping rapidly. "I brought us all here. I killed countless comrades to be here. So I will take that burden."

No...

"Hange," I started but she was quick to interrupt.

"Levi," she walked in front of me and spoke quietly, "Levi, you're my best friend. I want to believe I've made a difference in this world. To this force. To you. Please, let me do this. I wanna go out with a bang, so please let me go."

I nodded sadly. But then I grabbed onto her cape. "Dedicate your heart."

She gasped with a huge smile. "That's the first time I heard you say that!"

I shook my head and put my hand out for her to shake but instead she pulled me in for a hug. She knew she had to be gentle due to the bandages around my body in which she stitched and wrapped but also because this was a goodbye. She walked over to Armin and put her hands on his shoulders. "Armin Arlert. I am promoting you to the 15th Commander of the Survey Corps. You have only one requirement. Don't give up." She looked back at everyone else and waved goodbye. Then she took off and went straight for the Colossal Titans. We watched her fight and throw thunder spears at their napes. One managed to fall. She really was buying us time.

"Start the engine!" Someone yelled. But I was too focused on Hange.

She continued to be brave. She was a leader. I couldn't help but think of all the times we shared together. In the end, she was one of the greatest people I had ever met. One of my best friends. The loud and quiet dynamic. The reckless one and then the other with the brains. Hot and cold. Fire and ice. One of those types of dynamics. There's so many ways you could describe it. But there were places where we were equal. She cared about me and I cared about her. She took care of me and I took care of her. We had each other's backs till the very end.

Watching the Colossal Titan's, I noticed they started to let out steam. It would be too hot for Hange. But that's when it happened.

We all watched Hange burn alive in front of us. But we needed to run. Before we could mourn, we all ran to the flying boat as fast as we could and let it take off in the air as the Titan's stomped down on where we had just been.

"Hange!" Armin screamed with tears in his eyes. He slammed his fist on the wall and fell to his knees. Everyone else was crying. Jean, Connie, Mikasa. Even Onyankopon and Pieck. But I just sat there and stared at the ground.

Another one taken from me. I've learned to get used to it but it still hurts. This one hurt.

"See ya, four eyes. Watch over us."