Chapter 5

Levi's POV:

We had arrived at the chapel and eventually found Historia. And Eren. Kenny's squad also decided to make an appearance. But all the fighting felt like it was a waste in the end. Rod Reiss turned himself into a Titan. I physically remained unphased but I was repulsed by the creature in front of me. That was the most disturbing Titan I've seen yet. But eventually Historia had landed the final blow, resulting in the end of the battle.

Kenny. The man that had taught me how to fight. But nothing more. Was lying before me, choking on his own blood.

"So what's your poison, runt?" He coughed out. "Heroics?" I pushed him against the tree.

"Kenny. Tell me everything you know about the king. The first king. Why didn't he want mankind to survive?" I was getting impatient.

"Dunno, it beats me. That said, I know that's part of the reason that we Ackerman's decided to oppose him for that reason." He choked again and spit blood on my cheek. My eyes widened but returned to their usual state.

Ackerman.

I'm an Ackerman?

I felt my chest get tight. Something I had searched for for so long. All my life I was just "Levi".

Levi Ackerman.

"So, that's my name as well. Tell me, who are you? What were you to my mom?" He let out a dry laugh.

"You dumbass. I'm just her brother." This time my eyes stayed wide. Her brother? Kenny was my uncle? Why didn't he tell me? "That day...why? Why did you leave me?"

"Because," he managed to let out, "I just wasn't cut out...to be somebody's dad."

He slammed Rod's Titan serum onto my chest. He had stolen it. I was in shock by the exchange. But when I looked up. He was gone.

I let out a small gasp. "Kenny..."

My uncle was gone.

If I had known, would things have been different? Probably not. Because he left me knowing who I was. Ultimately proving my point, no one really cares about me. No one really cares about Levi...Ackerman.

The next day, Historia was crowned Queen of the Walls. Everything seemed to be okay for a moment. Rod was dead. Historia is queen. Kenny is dead. And Eren is okay.

I wanted to talk to him. He had been enthralled by the conversation he was having with Mikasa and Armin. I could tell he missed them. I missed him. I wish I couldn't shake off this feeling in my stomach. It's my gut telling me that he's too young to understand things. It's all fun and games for him now, but once he gets a little older. I can't help but see the death of all of us because of him. But I'll keep that to myself so I don't alarm the others.

He caught me staring at him, although I wasn't trying to hide it. He had excused himself from his current conversation and came over to me.

"Hi Captain Levi." He awkwardly smiled.

Well, here I go. "I've been meaning to thank you." I looked into his turquoise eyes and almost felt a pang of anger in my heart. How could someone with such beautiful eyes be so secretly destructive? It wasn't fair.

"For?"

"The conversation we had."

"Oh," he seemed shocked, "you're welcome." He didn't understand why I was thanking him. Dumb brat.

"Truth is, Jaeger, I'm not a fearless person. I have nearly lost my life a thousand times. I've been beaten and bruised my entire life." I don't understand why I'm even saying all this. But as I've been led to believe, there's a slight chance that he cares a little more than the average person. "I never looked at myself as a hero or an inspiration. When you and Historia were being taken in Stohess, I had fought alone. I was more afraid around that time than others recently if I'm being honest." I sighed as I prepared myself for what I was about to say. "But you telling me you think I'm fearless stayed in my head. It felt like someone actually believed in me for once. So thank you."

He gave me a wide smile. Wait, is he blushing?

Oh no.