Chapter 22

Eren's POV:

The Jaegerists found the Survey Corps in a restaurant. I knew that's where I'd find Mikasa and Armin. It was the three of us along with the young girl that killed Sasha. I had cut my hand open, letting the blood drip on the table. They couldn't do a thing about it.

"I just wanna talk to you." I didn't look at either of them as I spoke. "More conflict isn't necessary to solve Eldia's problems. Hange and the others are fine. We're just relocating them."

"Eren. Mikasa and I have wanted to talk to you too. What were you thinking when you decided to attack Marley on your own? Why do all this? Did Zeke and Yelena really win you over to their side?"

"I am free, Armin." They both continued to stare as I watched the blood spill out. "Every single thing that I've done, I decided to do. My actions are governed by nothing but my own free will."

"So even though you secretly met with Yelena, you're saying that this was all you?"

"Yes." I said deeply

"No way, you're being manipulated." Of course Mikasa thought that way. Her voice was enough for me to look in their direction. "The Eren I know would never involve civilians and children in a war even if they were enemies. And you wouldn't put us at risk either! You care about us more than anyone! Don't you?" She stood up and held on her scarf that she's never taken off after all this time. "You rescued me from those kidnappers in the cabin and wrapped this scarf around me because you're a kind person."

"I said to keep your hands on the table, Mikasa." She sat back down in defeat. "Back in Liberio, I spoke with Zeke, brother to brother. I learned a lot of things from him. Honestly it seems like he knows even more about how Titans work than Marley does. Armin, what do you think it is that drove you to start seeing Annie?" He was startled. "Do you really believe it's your own free will?"

"What?" He gasped.

"If memories play a major role into shaping us into the people we are, then part of you has become Bertolt. Within you is an enemy who has feelings for another enemy. Understand? Bertolt has gotten into your head. You're the one being manipulated by the enemy." He was frozen. He couldn't believe the truth in which I was telling.

Mikasa was ready to protect Armin. "Hey! Why would you-"

"You're being controlled too. The Ackerman clan was designed to be perfect for protecting Eldia's king. Your Ackerman instincts were dormant. Until in that life or death situation, you heard me order you to fight. The strength and the certainty you felt in that moment were awakened because your blood mistook me for the host you were made to protect."

"It can't be."

"It can't? Why not?"

"It wasn't a mistake." Her voice was quiet and shaky. She was holding in the tears. But she perked her head back up. "It's because it was you, it had to be you. You're why I became strong. How could that be a mistake?"

"As an Ackerman with awakened powers, you're apparently supposed to get headaches pretty frequently. The research said that this is a side effect of the Ackerman's true self trying to resist being forced to protect their hosts. Sound familiar?"

I love Mikasa. She's a part of me. But I need her to hate the person I've become. I can't have her love stop me. I'll do the same exact thing I did with Levi. Break her.

"You're wrong."

"What I'm saying is, you belong to a clan created to protect and obey at the cost of losing their true selves. In other words, slaves."

"Stop! Leave her alone!" It was Armin's turn to get protective.

"You wanna know what I hate more than anything else in this world? Anyone who isn't free. They're no better than cattle."

"Eren!" Armin was pleading for me to stop.

I had my eyes set back to Mikasa. "The mere sight of you has always made me so damn angry and now I finally know why. I just couldn't stand to look at a slave with no mind of her own. Who always followed orders without question. Believe me when I say this, Mikasa. Ever since I was a kid, I've hated you." The air from her lungs nearly sucked themselves out completely as she looked at me with tears. I showed no emotion. Learned from the best it seems.

"Eren! How could you say that to her?" Armin screamed and crawled on the table to throw a punch but Mikasa blocked it and pinned him down. "Mikasa?" Armin and Mikasa were both shocked by her actions.

"See? Everything you've done in your life has been dictated by your Ackerman blood." Mikasa backed away from Armin in fear of herself. She continued to cry and stutter nonsense. "That blood is all you really are."

Armin finally had the opportunity to throw a punch and he took it, knocking me off my chair. Big mistake, Armin. I blocked his next blow and hit his jaw, immediately making his mouth bleed. Then I had taken him by his collar and threw him into the wine bottles.

"Jaeger!" Two Jaegerist's with guns came to my rescue.

"I don't need help." Armin lifted himself up as blood dripped from his nose. "Hey, Armin. The two of us have actually never fought before, have we." Armin threw another punch which I dodged. "You know why that is?" But then returned the favor by actually hitting him. Over. And over. And over. "It's because it would never be a fair fight!" I screamed and kneed him in the stomach. Another move I had learned from the best. Armin fell to the ground unable to move. I was shocked I was out of breath.

"Please," Mikasa emotionally whispered, "just stop." I glared at her.

"Like I said at the start, conflict isn't necessary." I stared at Armin lying still as Mikasa kneeled next to him. "At least not if you tell us where Zeke is. So just come along quietly. Take em'." I said to the armed Jaegerists. They nodded. "And bring the kid who killed Sasha too."

Mikasa was able to lift Armin up. "So that's it? That's all you came here to say? Is this the freedom you wanted? The freedom to hurt Mikasa?" Armin choked out. "You're a slave too and your master is a worthless bastard."

"Who you calling a slave?" I grit through my teeth. "Let's go."

"Go where?" Mikasa asked.

"The place where it all started. Shiganshina."

Armin was right but I'd never tell anyone that.

I am a slave. A slave to myself. A slave to a life I never wanted but something I believe needs to be done.

I love you both. I'm sorry it's come to this.