Chapter 29

Mikasa's POV:

We were preparing the flying boat to find Eren. We were all setting up explosives and our gear, making sure we have all the weapons and equipment we need. The further we get into our plan to find him, the more afraid I become. Is this the end? I can't let it.

I was carrying a box of my things and stopped once I noticed Annie sitting alone.

"Annie, check your equipment." She stayed silent. "Have you gotten used to it yet?"

"Reiner and I used it earlier, we got used to it." She heavily sighed and looked down at her lap. "But I'm not going."

"You're not coming with us?"

"I'm sorry. I just...I don't know how you think you can do this. I want to be optimistic but what more can we do?"

"I won't kill Eren. I'm going to get the old Eren back. That's all I want."

"Mikasa, what makes you think you can do that?"

"Because I know I can." I wish I had a better answer for her. But it's true, I do believe I can be the one to stop him.

"Okay, let's say you do. What then? Do you expect to live a happily ever after with Eren? Even if you killed him or not, you don't have much time left for your fantasies." She looked away from me and landed her eyes on Armin. "When you're a Titan Shifter, your time is limited. That goes for me too." Once I realized where she was looking, I couldn't help but gasp.

"Since when?"

"What?"

"Never mind."

"No, tell me."

"Annie, do you have feelings for Armin?" I was shocked to see her eyes widen with a light redness glowing on her cheeks.

"No, that's ridiculous." She looked back down at her lap, unable to see me or Armin.

"I don't think so." I rested the box down and took a seat next to her.

"Some people just aren't meant to live normal lives. I'm one of those people."

"You can't give up hope."

"It's not about hope, it's about acceptance." She rolled her eyes. "In a perfect world, yes. I would like to be with Armin and have a life together. But not everyone gets a happy ending. Maybe if you're lucky, you can have one. But not me."

"I wouldn't think that's fair."

"Life's not fair. But there's nothing we can do about it. With the Curse of Ymir, I really only have about...2 years left. And beating the odds of that are highly unlikely." I hated the thought of that. That would also mean Eren and Armin's time would be cut short. Eren would only have 4 years left. Luckily, Armin would have a little more time but 9 years isn't nearly enough to have a real life. So unfortunately, I understood what she was saying. I can live up to 85 and have a family. But they can't. "At the end of the day, all I want is peace."

"Me too." I sighed and stood back up. Feeling that the conversation was over, I started to walk away.

"Mikasa." She called out. But I had only turned my head slightly for her to know I was listening. "Where's your scarf?"

"I have it...but I'm not wearing it now."

I would do anything to get the old Eren back. There's so many things I feel I should've done differently. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if I would've been more effective compared to Levi. Did Eren really care for him that much? No. Probably not. But I know he cares for me. Even if he acts like that isn't the case. Although his words hurt more than anything the last time we had seen each other, I still wanted to be by his side. But I need to do what's right for humanity, for myself, and for Eren.

Eren, just hold on. We can fix this. It doesn't have to end this way. It doesn't have to end with so much death and destruction. We can all be happy.

Please, Eren.