ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 119

This is the hardest day of my life. I feel like I lost my personality. I can't think about anything else, there's no way to distract me from what happened tonight.

My mother had to pull me away from her after I sat there with her for almost an hour. Students were looking for people to bring back to the great hall when they came across her. They put her on a stretcher and I went crazy and chased after her.

In the great hall, everyone stared at me like I was insane. But I didn't care, because when Savanna's father saw her, it was enough to break me even more. I saw his face go pale as he made his way over to her.

He kneeled next to her and kissed her forehead. He cried as his voice broke. "My baby."

Blaise saw me with my hand over my mouth as I watched them. He ran over to me, and the first thing he said was, "Where's mouse?"

That's when he looks to the floor and sees her laying there lifeless.

Blaise's eyes flood with tears. He doesn't say anything, he just hugs me, and I can hear him crying in my ear.

I kneel back down to Savanna, unzipping her pocket and taking out the picture of her and Hiraeth.

I cover my eyes, trying to shield them from this picture. Hiraeth is all I have left of Savanna.

"Is she..." Blaise begins.

I nod before he can finish the sentence.

"My God." he whispers and squeezes his eyes shut.

I kneel down to Savanna, all of the color drained out her face. I hold her hand, "Why did you save me? It should've been me, why would you do that?"

I drop my head next to her shoulders and cry some more. What makes this so hard for me, is the fact that Savanna was having trouble even before all of this. She was struggling to keep up with everything. She needed help.

She was skinny and beaten up, still managing to fight and be a mother to Hiraeth.

I begin to think more about Hiraeth, and how she'll never know how amazing her mother was. She'll never know how much she loved her and how much she did for her.

"I'll take care of Hiraeth." I whisper. "I promise, i'll take care of her."

My tears fall and make a puddle on the floor. I feel someone tap me on the shoulder.

I look next to me to see Savanna's father. His cheeks are wet with tears and his eyes are puffy from crying.

He holds his arms out to me and I take in his embrace. I hug him and cry more into his shoulder. "She loved you so much. So very much."

"She saved me." I admit. "I don't know how to go on without her."

He squeezes me a little tighter before letting me go. "Mr. Holcombe?"

He nods. "How am I going to look at my daughter when her eyes look just like Savanna's?"

"It won't be easy." he says. "It might take some time, but you have to be there for her, she needs you."

I stand with him and I rub my face with my hands, attempting to stop my uncontrollable tears. But they won't stop, I don't they ever will.

Savanna's entire chest and stomach are covered in blood. The knife is still imbedded into her, I absolutely hate the sight before me.

My mother approaches me, holding my hand. "Let's go home, you can see Hiraeth. Maybe she'll make you feel a little better."

I shake my head. "I can't leave her here, not yet."

I turn back to her father. "Mr. Holcombe, can I have your blessing?" I ask, pulling the ring box out of my pocket.

More tears fall form his eyes. "Of course you can."

I kneel to Savanna, opening the box. I show her the ring inside even though I know she can't see or hear me anymore.

I saved my money since the Yule Ball to buy her that engagement ring. After that night, I knew no one else could ever compare to her. She truly was the best thing to ever happen to me.

I take it out of the box and slide it onto her small ring finger. "You deserve to have this my love." I whispered before kissing her hand and seeing the way it looked. It's absolutely perfect on her. "I hope you love it."

Savanna Malfoy. She'll never get to say that's her name.

I kiss the top of her hand. "You'll always be my girl. I promise, i'll never love anyone else."

Me telling her i'll never love anyone else only makes me cry more. I shouldn't ever have to tell her that. But i'm telling her that because she's the one I love. I'll never ever love anyone else to way I love her.

I can't believe she's gone.

The room looks odd. I think it's spinning. I'm dizzy, I must be. I look around, and then at Blaise, who catches me so I don't fall to the floor.

"Don't faint, are you okay?" Blaise asks through his tears.

I'm still dizzy when I stand up straight. I shake my head.

"You need to rest." he says.

"No. I'm not leaving her."

Teila walks up to us, holding a young girl's hand. Teila's hand is over her mouth, silencing her sobs.

She says nothing, just kneels down to Savanna, kissing her on the forehead and smoothing her hair out of the way.

The girl speaks. "That's the girl that helped me." she says to Blaise.

I bend down to level. "Did you say she helped you?"

She points to her foot. "I broke my ankle. She was the only one who helped me."

I can sense her fear. She must be frightened by me.

"What's your name?"

She answers me hesitantly. "Haven. I'm Teila's little sister."

I hold out my hand to her. "Don't be afraid."

Knowing that Savanna helped this girl when now one else had the heart to, only makes this more difficult.

She takes my hand. "I'm sorry about your girlfriend. She's really beautiful, and really really nice."

Haven watches my fresh tears fall. She backs away, not knowing what to do. I don't blame her, I wouldn't know what to do either.

My tears fall onto the floor. I cough and gasp for a breath.

I can't feel anything anymore.

The last thing I can remember is my sobbing Savanna's name and telling her I love her as my mother tries to bring me home to my daughter.

Hiraeth. My very last precious piece of her.