ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 104

I wake up in Draco's bed to the sound of conversation around me.

I sit up and notice i'm thankfully wearing clothes now.

It's still dark outside, and Draco is talking with Narcissa, and he's holding something. Someone.

Hiraeth.

Shes crying.

I get up and make my way over to them and they notice me straight away. Their conversation comes to a halt.

Draco's expression is sort of difficult to read. He could be angry, upset, confused. Maybe all of the above.

I hold out my arms for Hiraeth and he places her in my arms.

She stops crying.

"Looks like she knows who her mother is." Narcissa says, then clears her throat.

Draco remains silent, crosses his arms, and looks down at the floor.

Is he upset with me about last night?

"I got here as soon as I could." Narcissa says, then takes a pause.

I look up from my baby and make eye contact with her.

Narcissa parts her lips to speak again but nothing comes out.

Draco speaks for her, "My mother went to Hiraeth's crib tonight to check on her because she was crying. Nothing unusual right?"

I nod.

"Her window was open." Draco says, "She was freezing cold, and this was in her crib."

Draco hands me a piece of paper from his pocket. It's small.

My shaking hand takes it from his.

I know you're against me. Might not be the best move. I'm everywhere. I've seen everything. The baby, she's beautiful. I'd suggest you keep her close by. It would be a shame if something were to happen to her. Everything is about to change.

No one needed to sign that note. I knew who had written it the second I read the first sentence.

I drop it to the floor and fall to my knees holding Hiraeth against my chest.

"She's doomed." Draco mumbles.

"Are you serious? Why would you say that to me?! Take it back Draco, take it back!" I raise my voice as loud as I can without disturbing Hiraeth.

"It's true, Savanna." he says.

He walks into the bathroom and slams the door behind him. Hiraeth starts crying again.

My tears fall down my cheeks and I look up at Narcissa. I'm glad she a least looks concerned.

"I'm so sorry. He shouldn't have said that." she says. "I'll talk to him."

Narcissa walks to the bathroom, opens the door and before she shuts it, I can see Draco leaned on the sink with his face in his hands and his shoulders shaking.

Once the door closes, i'm alone. But I have Hiraeth.

But i'm alone. We're alone.

"Shhh, it's okay baby." I whisper rocking Hiraeth in my arms trying to calm her down.

I notice a bag on the floor full of things for Hiraeth. I take the pacifier out and offer it to her.

She opens her mouth for it and accepts it and begins to calm down.

"I'm sorry Rae. I'm sorry that happened to you. You're just a baby."

She closes her eyes and drifts to sleep in my arms. She really is a beautiful baby. I don't think newborns are supposed to be this beautiful. But she is.

"We'll be okay." I press a kiss to her forehead. "I hope i'm doing this mom thing right. I'm not sure i'm doing a great job so far."

I hold my finger out to her and she holds onto it in her tiny fist.

I don't know why this makes me want to cry. I guess i'm thinking of this to be a mother daughter bond. We definitely haven't had much bonding time since she was born.

Another tear trickles down my face and lands on her onesie.

Narcissa walks out of the bathroom and I get another glimpse of Draco in the same position he was in when she walked in.

"He's upset." she says, "Just give him some time."

I wipe the tears off my cheeks and smile, "I'm sure he'll come around."

She crouches down next to me, "I'll be staying nearby for your safety and the baby's. I packed her crib in the bag so she could sleep here with her Mommy and Daddy."

I'm confused about how she could pack something like that in a bag until I remember that we're magical.

I nod, "Thank you so much."

"Don't mention it. Do you want me to stay with you?"

I shake my head, "It's alright. I'm sure you're tired, especially with her keeping you up for weeks. You get some rest."

"Goodnight darling." she smiles, and then leaves the room.

"Goodnight."

I decide to get some rest myself. I pull Hiraeth's crib out of the bag and place it on the floor, and it unfolds to be full sized.

I gently place her in it and turn on the mobile  to help her sleep.

I crawl back into bed myself and switch off the lamp. I drift to sleep quickly.