ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 157

"Savanna.." I say, walking back into the bedroom.

She's laying in the bed, facing away from me with the covers pulled up.

I shut the door behind me. "I'm sorry if you heard me yell."

She doesn't respond, she doesn't even move.

I climb in bed with her, letting my hand roam across the curve of her body. "Can you look at me darling?"

She slowly turns towards me. Her eyes are puffy and red, and the tears have finally stopped.

I lay on my side, looking at her. I just wait for her to say something. Anything.

But she doesn't. So I hold my arms out, inviting her to get closer to me. She immediately accepts, cuddling close to me against my chest.

I kiss the top of her head. "I'm not getting surgery." I tell her. "I'm not going to get in the way of your dream."

She pulls back. "Really?"

I nod, and she smiles. I really did miss that smile.

She comes at me, kissing me. She soon has me on my back, her on top of me, and she's still kissing me.

I pull away for a second. "Well, thank you."

Then she kisses me more.

__________________________________________

"Blaise left these for us before they went home." I say, holding two boxes with ribbons tied around them. "I didn't want to tell you, because you were upset with me." I whisper, because this is longest Sterling has ever slept.

I hand Savanna the one that has "mouse" written on it. We sit down on the bed and open them together.

There's a note sitting on the top of mine. I read it out loud.

Just to remind you that you'll always be a Slytherin. Love you guys.

Savanna and I open the gift at the same time, and inside are silky dark green pajamas. Savanna has the same ones in her box. They're matching.

"How sweet." Savanna whispers. "I love them."

"I miss school a lot, actually. After going there for seven years I got really attached to it."

"Well, we'll have three of our kids going there." Savanna reminds me. "We should get to bed, it's late."

We put on the pajamas and settle into bed. These pajamas are so comfortable, I don't know where Blaise got them, but I think I might need another pair.

I turn off the lights and settle in with her, wrapping my arm around her waist and pulling her closer to me. It's past midnight, and we didn't mean to stay up this late.

As soon as i'm drifting to sleep, Sterling starts to cry. Savanna begins to sit up.

I grab her arm. "Lay back down, i've got it."

She doesn't argue with me this time, she rests her head back against the pillow. I smile at her, because she finally learned to let me take care of it.

I make my to his crib. "Hey hey hey." I whisper as a cradle him in my arms. "It's okay, Daddy's here."

I can never call him down the way Savanna can. It's always difficult, and it never works. But i'll try for her sake, because she deserves some sleep.

I rock him slowly. "Shhhhhh."

It's not working.

"Do you want your mommy? She's asleep, so i'm here." I whisper.

It seems like he cries more after I say that. Maybe he just doesn't like me very much.

Our bedroom door opens. "Mommy?" Hiraeth says, she's crying.

Savanna sits up. "What's wrong?"

"I had a bad dream." She says, wiping her tears off her face.

Savanna sits up and opens the covers. "Come here."

Hiraeth climbs into the bed and Savanna holds her.

Once Hiraeth stops crying, Savanna ushers me towards her.

I get into bed next to them, Sterling still crying.

"Can you sing, Mommy?" Hiraeth asks.

"Of course." She says.

She starts singing "Je te laisserai des mots." A soothing French song. It's beautiful, and she sounds beautiful singing it.

Sterling stops crying immediately. All he needed was his mother. It's like magic. He even falls back asleep.

Even I could fall asleep to the sound of her singing.

Hiraeth's eyes slowly close as she drifts to sleep too.

Wow. All she has to do is sing. It's amazing.

This is the moment I truly see her as a mother.

I stand back up before I fall asleep myself. I set Sterling down in his crib, and by the time I get back to the bed, Savanna is done singing, and Hiraeth is sound asleep.

"You're incredible." I whisper.

She blushes and looks down at Hiraeth.

I kiss her softly on the lips a couple times before laying down and immediately falling asleep.

_____________________________

Je te laisserai des mots - Patrick Watson