chapter 78

"Derek" I whisper. He doesn't open his eyes. "Derek" I move closer. "What mer" he groans. "I'm scared.. wake up" I whisper. He opens his eyes.

"What? What's wrong?" He mumbles. "I can hear noises outside the door" I say. "Its fine, it's just the neighbours" he says. "At 3am?" I ask. He nods.

"I can't go to sleep until you check" I say. "No" he says. "Derek" I say. "No, I'm going back to sleep" he pushes his face into his pillow. I sigh.

I sit up, chewing on my lip nervously. I lean against the headboard. I hear keys jingling outside. I look down at him.

"Derek please check" I put my hand on his back. "No mer! Please just go to sleep!" He yells into the pillow. I tear up. I sniffle.

He pulls away from the pillow, looking at me. He sighs, sitting up. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell.. I'll check, okay?" He puts his hand on my cheek. I nod. He kisses my cheek.

He gets up. "No, don't leave me" I get up quickly, holding his hand. He sighs. I follow behind him as he walks to the door.

He looks through the hole in the door. He gasps. "What?" My eyes widen. "Boo!" He turns around quickly. I scream, jumping.

I walk to his room, sitting on the bed. Tears run down my cheeks. He walks after me. "I'm sorry baby" he says. "Its not funny! I'm really scared" I sob.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that" he sits next to me, wrapping his arms around me. I sniffle.

"Are you feeling homesick mer?" He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. I shake my head. "I know you're not actually crying because you're scared of someone being outside the apartment" he says. I look down.

"I miss home.. and school" I admit. He sighs. "You should go home" he says. "You want me to leave?" I cry. "No.. no mer, of course I don't, but you shouldn't stay here for me" he says.

"I don't want to leave you here alone" I say. "I'm not a child" he says. "But you might try to leave me again" I sob uncontrollably. He pulls away from me. I wipe my tears, get up and run into the bathroom.

Derek's pov:
She's crying in the bathroom. I'm sat on the bed still, thinking. I didn't know that what I did still effects her so much. I feel so terrible.

I get up and go to the bathroom. "Mer let me in" I say. She opens the door after a couple of minutes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up.. I dont want to hurt you or.. make you think about it again.. I'm sorry" she sniffles, wiping her tears.

"Meredith, come here" I hold her hand, gently pulling her to the bed. She sits on the end of the bed. I sit on my knees infront of her so I'm just the same height as her almost. She looks at me.

"When I did what I did, I was in a terrible point in my life.. and no, it wasn't because of you.. it was just everything" I say. She looks down.

I put my hands on her jaw, making her look at me. "Stop it.. stop blaming yourself, im perfectly okay now and it wasn't your fault to begin with" I say.

"I'm happy right now.. I'm not going to do it again, I promise to you" I whisper. She hugs me tight. I sigh, wrapping my arms around her.

"I want to go home" she whispers. "I know" I whisper. "Will you come with me?" She asks. "Meredith" I pull away. "Please.. just to visit for a little while?" She asks. I look into her eyes.

"I would like to be there to meet my baby sister" I say. She smiles, nodding. "I'll try to find plane tickets" I say. "I'll ring my mom" she says. "Okay" I say. She smiles, kissing me.

We climb into bed. "Actually, I better ring her in the morning" she chuckles. I nod. "Do the plane tickers in the morning too" she says. "Okay" I say.

"You can sleep now?" I ask. She nods. "Yeah, I can" she smiles. We both lay down. "Goodnight beautiful" I whisper, cuddling her. She smiles, closing her eyes. "Night" she says.