chapter 21

"Meredith.. meredith.. meredith" there's a knocking sound at my window. I furrow my brows. I walk out of my bathroom to the window.

"Derek" I giggle, opening my window. He climbs in. "What you doing here?" I ask, picking a leaf out of his hair. I chuckle softly, throwing it out of the window.

"I need to tell you something" he says. "What is it?" I ask. "I'm going to London on the 20th" he says.

"Twentieth of.." I furrow my brows. "This month" he says. "But the proms on the Twentieth" I say. He looks down. "Oh" I whisper.

"I'm really sorry.. I wanted to take you" he holds my hand, stepping closer to me. "Its okay" I look down. "I'm sorry" he says. "Its okay.. really, it is" I look into his eyes.

He smiles small. I wrap my arms around his neck, hugging him. "I'll really miss you" I whisper. "I'll miss you much more" he whispers. He hugs me back tight.

"You're really leaving" I whisper. "Yeah" he whispers. I pull away slowly. "How long will you be gone?" I ask. "I'm not sure yet.. it depends how well my studies go" he says.

"I hope your studies are shit" I mumble, looking down. "Thanks" says sarcastically. He chuckles. I grin.

I look at him. "Why do you have to leave the day of the prom?" I whine. "That's just the day I'm supposed to arrive at my apartment" he says. I sigh.

"I really wish you weren't leaving" I whisper. "I wish I wasn't leaving you" he says. I smile small. I hug him again quickly.

"I gotta go" he says. "Really?" I say disappointed. He nods. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then" I say. "See you tomorrow" he says. I put on a smile. He climbs back out of my window, down the ladder.

I close the window. Tears run down my cheeks. I sit on the floor, leaning against the wall. I sigh, curling up into a ball. I cry Into my hands.

I go to my bed and pick up my phone. I call cristina. She picks up. Before she can even say anything I start rambling.

"Derek's going to London on the Twentieth.. the day of the prom.. and he was gonna be my date.. so now I don't have a date.. and Derek's going.. so there's no way I can be with him.. not that he's ever made a move on me really anyway but-" I stop, finally taking a breath.

"Mer, just get another date" she says. "I don't want another date.. I wanna go with derek!" I say. She groans.

"Didn't deluca ask you? Go with him" she says. "I'm hanging up" I say. "Fair enough" she says. I hang up. I throw the phone onto my bed.

1 week later:
"Meredith" my mom walks into my room. I pull the covers over my head. She sits on the edge of my bed, gently pulling them down.

"You've gotta get up at some point" she says. "No I don't" I say. "Its just a boy" she says. "He's not just a boy.. he- I don't wanna talk about it" I sigh. She strokes my hair back gently.

"I wondered if you wanted me to take you dress shopping for prom today?" She asks. "I'm not going" I say. "What?" She asks. "I'm not going if derek isn't my date" I say.

"Meredith" she sighs. I push my face into my pillow. "Meredith.. why is derek outside your window?" She asks. My head pops up. I get up, rushing to the window.

I open it. "Hi" a smile finally appears on my face. "Hi.. hi Dr grey" he says. "Derek" she smiles. I giggle. "I just came to drop this off.. I won't be able to see you before I leave next week.. I'm not coming to school" he says.

"You're not?" I ask disappointed. "I can't.. no time" he says. "Oh, okay" I try to play it off. "But if I'm not taking you to the prom then I'd at least like to give you this" he says.

I watch him as he passes me something. "A corsage" I smile. "I didn't know what colour dress you're getting so I went with blue.. which would've matched my suit but-" he shrugs.

"Thankyou" I smile. "You'd better send me loads of pictures" he says. I grin. "Have you got another date?" He asks. I shake my head. "I want to go with you" I say. He sighs.

"Meredith was just saying that she might not go" my mom says. I roll my eyes. "What?! You have to go.. you're totally gonna be prom queen and you have to be there to get your crown" he says. I groan.

"I don't care about prom queen" I say. "I know you don't" he chuckles softly. "I'm not going" I say. "No, please don't let me ruin your prom" he says. I sigh.

"Who should I go with then?" I roll my eyes. "Your friends!" He says. "Maybe.. if I find a nice dress" I say. "Yes! I'm going to get ready" my mom says. I giggle.

"Bye Dr grey" Derek says. "Bye derek" she says, walking out. I look at him. "I have to go" he whispers. "Already?" I ask. "Yeah" he sighs.

"So this is the last time we'll see eachother?" I ask. "Until I come back" he says. I look down. "Can I have a hug?" He asks. I smile.

I reach down, wrapping my arms tight around his waist. He reaches through the window, hugging me back tight.

"You'd better call and text.. a lot" I say. "I will" he pulls away slowly. I leave a lingering kiss on his cheek. "Goodbye mer" he says. "Bye derek" I whisper. He climbs down the ladder.

I sigh, closing my window. I get ready. "Dress shopping" I mumble. I go downstairs and me and my mom leave to the shops.