chapter 43

I knock on Derek's house door. "Meredith? Hi" Carol says, opening the door.

"Hi.. can I see derek?" I ask  "hes upstairs but-" she says. "Thanks" I walk past her. I run upstairs with my box of stuff in my hands.

I knock on the door. "Go away" he says. "Its me" I say. "Oh, then definitely go away" he says. I scoff.

"I'm kidding" he opens the door. "This is your stuff you left at my house" I pass him the box. He takes it, a hurt look in his eyes.

"Can I have my stuff?" I ask. "Wha- are you.. trying to hurt me?" He asks. "What? No" I say. Yes.

"Yeah, sure.. you can have your stuff" he tosses all of his stuff out of the box, onto the floor. I gasp quietly as the stuff clatters everywhere.

"Your pyjamas.. the bra you left here.. toothbrush.. that stupid book you recommend to me-" he starts putting stuff in the box. Maybe I shouldn't have done this.

"You bought these condoms.. your hairbrush" he puts more stuff in. He walks over to me.

He forcefully puts the box in my hands. I look into his tearful eyes as he avoids eye contact. "Thanks for my stuff" he closes the door in my face.

Tears well up in my eyes. I look down at my box of stuff. I blink my tears away quickly as the door opens again. I look at him.

"This isn't all of my stuff" he points at the now messy floor with all of his things on it. "Yeah it is?" I say. "My shirt" he says.

"Huh?" I ask. "The shirt that you stole" he says. "I wear that to sleep every night" I say. "Its mine.. I want it back" he says.

I roll my eyes. "You know I love that shirt" I say. "So do I" he says. "You never wear it!" I say. "Because you stole it" he says. "Fine.. whatever, I'll bring it later" I say. "Okay" he closes the door again.

I walk downstairs. "Bye carol" I say. "Bye mer" she smiles. I walk out. I take a deep breath as the door closes  behind me.

I push my lips together to try and stop myself as tears run down my cheeks. I walk home.

I throw the condoms in the bin on the way home so my mom won't see. I walk into my house and go to the kitchen. I put my box of stuff on the table.

"I told you it wasn't a good idea" my dad says. "I just gave him his stuff back.. its fine" I say. Tears run down my cheeks.

My mom sighs. She hugs me. "It's okay honey" she whispers. I sniffle. "I can kill him if you want" my dad says. I chuckle softly, shaking my head.

"He didn't do anything wrong.. I dont blame him for breaking up with me" I say. "I thought that boy was clever" my mom scoffs. "He Is.. it was my fault" I say. "Why?" She asks.

"He told me not to tell my friends about something.. but I did and I embarrassed him" I say quietly. "What did you tell them?" She asks. "I'm not telling you too" I say.

"Meredith, why would you do that?" She sighs. "I don't know" I look down.

"She always has to self sabotage" lexie says. "What do you know" I roll my eyes. "More than you" she says.

"Lexie why are you being so mean?" My dad scoulds. "I liked derek! He's my friend and now I can't talk to him" she says. "You can still talk to him" I say. She rolls her eyes.

"Lexie, I'm sorry.. okay?" I say. She scoffs. "I'm not particularly happy either" I say. She gets up and walks away. I scoff.

I go upstairs. I grab Derek's shirt. My lip trembles as I look at it and I tear up. I walk downstairs and back outside. I feel like a walk anyway.

I go to his house and knock on the door. "You here to see him again?" Carol asks, opening the door. I shake my head. "Can you just give him this please?" I pass her the shirt.

"Of course I can" she says. "Keep it" he walks up behind her. "Really?" I ask. "Yeah" he says. I smile small as he passes me it back.

"Thankyou" I say. He smiles. "Um.. can you maybe text lexie?" I ask. He raises his brow slightly. "She misses you" I giggle. He chuckles softly.

"Of course I can" he says. "Thankyou" I smile. "That's okay" he smiles.

"Will.. um- Will I see you before you leave to London?" I ask hesitantly. "I'm not sure" he says. "Okay" I say.

"Okay then, I should go" I say. "Okay" he says. "Bye" I say. "Bye" he says. I smile at Carol before walking away.