ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

𝗧wo days have passed since they landed in America

𝗧wo days have passed since they landed in America. Two days had passed since their bubble of happiness inevitably exploded and everyone was reminded of the truth of their situation again. Over the last forty – eight hours, she has not only replayed the moment with Andreas at the ball consistently on loop, but she had also filled Mason and Rueben in on it – completely this time – and had convinced them to join her on a trip outside of town.

She tilted her head to the side, just barely, and watched as the world around her flew at the speed the car was going. Her back was pressed to the backdoor; her head against the glass and her legs extending across the entirety of the backseat. Rueben was seated in between the middle seat and the one she was perched in, allowing her to throw her legs across his lap.

She knew it was basically unethical to sit like this – with no seatbelts on – acting as if they couldn't be without each other for a moment's breath, but it was what she requested, and when no one in the car protested, it was put into action. Besides, in addition to the comfortability, it allowed her to relax more than she would have if she was sitting upright in her own spot. This way, whenever her hands started to thrum at her thighs at a pace unrecognizable, or when the tip of her shoe would tap the opposite door rhythmically, Rueben was right there to bring her down to Earth. To remind her to breathe.

"ETA, ten minutes," Kaiser spoke from the front seat.

"Thank god," Mason groaned, shifting in the passenger's seat, "I'm cramping up."

"We've only been in the car for like fifty minutes," Rueben rolled his eyes.

He turned and glared at him, "And? – a man needs to stretch."

Rayne let out a soft chuckle, but did not contribute to the conversation more than that. She continued to stare out the window as the familiarity of the area began to sink into her skin, restricting her heart. It had been so long since she entered the depths of her mind – physically – so seeing it splayed in front of her right now was like a bad joke. No one found it funny.

She shot an appreciative look in Rueben's direction as his hand snaked around hers; he applied a reassuring amount of pressure. He gazed at her with a mix of emotions. She couldn't tell if he was happy that he was next to her, sad because of the spot they were in, or if it was because of something else. But, looking at him now, she knew herself that she was elated to be with him. Without him, she surely would have drowned much sooner with no hope of resuscitation.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Rueben asked her as the car came to a stop ten minutes later.

"I am," she nodded, throwing her feet off the seats, "I have to do this."

"Okay."

Rayne pushed the door open and stepped out onto the hot asphalt. Her eyes immediately climbed up the length of the tall office building that loomed over the parking lot they were in. While it did not belong to the man she was seeing, it was still one of heavy recognition. The fact that someone as corrupt as him worked in a place as well-known as this was proof that this society was rooted in systemic injustice.