ᴛᴇɴ

𝗦he rounded the corner, almost walking smack into her partner as she did so

𝗦he rounded the corner, almost walking smack into her partner as she did so. She stopped abruptly, watching his back as he paced the room. His phone was plastered to his cheek, but his voice was hushed and she couldn't make out the conversation on the line.

"Jonah," she spoke, getting his attention.

He spun around fast; his face was a display of emotions. He looked tired, drained, and afraid, but there was also something else there that she wasn't expecting to see: remorse.

"Fill me in?" she asked anyway.

"That was Moore on the phone," he said, slipping his phone into his pocket, negating any feelings he felt from his voice, "Unfortunately there's not much we have to go off for now."

"How is that possible?"

Jonah dragged a hand down his face, "He said there was hardly any physical evidence found at the Penthouse. There was blood splatter, but it's hard to decipher what's hers and what's not – if at all. Besides that, tech is working on recovering the security tapes Rayne had installed around the place."

Auden let out a breath. She knew exactly what the vagueness in his description meant: it's going to be a cold case. If there was no evidence, and they're struggling to gain any camera footage, it's likely that whoever did this to Rayne is going to get away. If she doesn't pull through, a murder charge will go out the window, and if she does, attempted murder.

She bit the inside of her lip hard. Sure, her and the red – head haven't had a great past, and it was mostly due to herself, but that didn't mean she wanted to see her dead. Half the time, the reason she picked on her was because she knew she would fight back. There weren't many people left in this life who knew how they deserved to be treated.

Doesn't make her actions better, no – but she didn't exactly care.

"This is a shit show," she finally muttered.

"Clearly," a third voice joined in.

She turned; for once, she was too tired to roll her eyes at the sight of Asher Moore. Even his steps seemed heavy at the news. She caught a glimpse of his dark eyebags as he took his side next to them.

"What are you doing here?"

"Scene has been wrapped up," he shoved his hands into his sweater pocket, "—I figured I'd be more help here."

"Well, make yourself comfortable," Jonah nodded towards the chairs, "We won't get anything solid until if or when Rayne wakes up."

If or when.

"I just want to know," she snapped, "How the hell a grown ass woman and young boy get attacked less than two hours after the conclusion of Rueben's trial and nobody knows fucking anything?!"

Jonah and Asher instantly woke up to her words.

"—we're fucking cops for Christ's sake!" she practically yelled, "We should be doing something more. Doesn't the fucking building itself have goddamn cameras? And how the fuck did he get access to the Penthouse. Only a brainless moron doesn't know those places have special access points!"

"I wish I knew Auden," Jonah answered.

"That's bullshit!" she turned to Asher, "Did you tell tech to check the cameras?"

"We're awaiting a warrant."

Shit.

I forgot about those.

"Why are you so amped up about this anyway?" he looked over at her, "This is not new to you. As sad as it is, we see this shit happen every day, so why is this one case affecting you?"

Auden narrowed her eyes as his words shot into her brain and swirled around. For a while, she didn't even know the answer herself. It has nothing to do with Rayne, and not even Blake – both of them were basically meaningless to her, so why was she acting like this.

"Maybe I don't want to witness another dead – end case," she glared at him, "Ever think of that? It doesn't matter how many times I see this, it never gets better," she looked him up and down, "For you to even suggest that makes me sick."

Asher's eyes flickered at her; anger as well as something else she couldn't place her tongue on. However, she didn't avert her eyes. He wasn't going to look down on her like he did everyone else.

Not me, bitch.

"Alright, relax," Jonah stood between the two of them, "This is not the time or place for this."

She held her ground for another second before letting her face fall, "Fine."

"Fine," Asher added.

Her partner let out another deep breath, "I'm going to go see what the situation is with Rueben; if they're any updates. Please don't kill each other while I'm gone."

With that, he slipped between them and left.

Auden looked at Asher sideways for a brief minute. Nothing in his facial expression was indicating that he actually meant what he said either. He seemed almost ... empathetic. It was odd seeing it on him – especially because of how he treated Rayne the last two times he saw her.

"Why do you care about this case?" she asked carefully.

"It's my job."

"No, I mean seriously," she shrugged, "You see Rayne as a piece of ass – why the sudden involvement?"

"You're over – thinking it."

"Don't manipulate me Asher," she took a step closer, "I am not the one."

But he just plainly rolled his eyes and looked over at her. The cinnamon color was painted with distaste; she couldn't decipher if that was due to her pestering, or if he truly didn't care about this case and was just pretending to.

"I guess she grew on me," he replied dryly.

She shook her head, "You're full of it. That makes no sense."

"I don't live to fulfill your expectations, nor to provide explanations," he stretched his arms behind his head, twisting his neck from side to side, "—but if you must know; I just liked testing her. She's in a position of power for someone at such a young age. You can't blame me for wanting to test if she was more bite than bark," he let out a breath as he dropped his arms, "That good enough for you?"

"And what did you conclude?"

"That she's definitely got more bite in her," he let out a soft chuckle, "Most people, women and men alike, bow down like a puppy after continuously being berated, but not her," he looked over, "That woman will do good things. If she lives," he frowned.

"Y'know, it wasn't exactly your place to test that," Auden crossed her arms.

"Maybe not."

"There was no reason for you to go as far as you did."

"I never said I was a good person, Peréz," he shrugged.

"Clearly – that's why your nickname is Detective Dickhead."

Asher scowled at her, but she laughed in return.

I still hate him.

"Wanna get a coffee?" she initiated.

"With me?"

"Don't get your panties in a twist," she rolled her eyes and started walking, "You're the only person who's not either busy or crying. You're my last choice."

"Ouch."